CaptainHook's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Mapping Memorial Plaques

Recently, I've started to map memorial plaques that remind life and death of the people that had to do with the house on which they are atteched. I hesitated a bit before I started as the maps weren't designed for that and perhaps it's not the most useful information. But then I thought that there's value in it nonetheless. As small as it is, it represents a tribute to somebody who deserves it. These are objects of historical value and as such they should be mapped. That can lead to having them preserved after all. And finally, it's a way to complement the image of the city with a different and hopefuly interesting layer. What do you think about it?

Jan Kašpar - aviatorJan Kašpar - aviator

8 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Mapping Memorial Plaques

Hello,

In order to keep the base map that all see uncluttered and responsive there are limitations on what can be added to it.  Google then provides multiple different ways to make custom maps on top of the base map so that you can add whatever you wish to such a map.

The type of features you are attempting to map is the sort of feature that belongs on a custom map.  In this case it is indicated by the fact that there is no appropriate category and also by the fact that the features do not have proper names.

Of the multiple solutions available to you, Google My Maps is likely the best to use for this scenario.  A My Map can be made public and searchable, and if well constructed it can appear when people search for such features.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

I can see the point. Just not being sure about some conclusions.

1. I thought the map is kept uncluttered by very different mechanisms than limitations on the content: try and search for Nuselský most in Prague for example - not the street but the bridge - success?
  2. I hope the list of categories does not indicate what should and should not be added. That would prevent a great amount of businesses from being present on it. (E.g. bathroom and kitchen design studios)
  3. Custom maps are a nice feature that is extremely usefull for showing the content of maps in different perspective but definitelly not for holding a content that is simply missing in it.
Level 9

@CaptainHook

mapping plaques has caused multiple issues in the past.

as these features you have added do not reflect personal or private or even business info consider linking to them in this thread. @Flash is an expert on these things and likely can assess whether any of them should remain on the map (many likely should be removed).

the reason for delete should be feature does not exist (this can also be used for non mappable features) if you attempt the edit (removals) yourself. if a reason is not chosen the listing will be marked closed (not good).

additionally if you are unable to delete plaques that you added in perhaps flash can help.

Level 3

one useful & simple idea might allow implementation and access to a more flexible layering of historical data. 

Conceptually the idea is similar to the personal and local scheduling layers currently supported in Google Calendar

@Flashwrote:

Hello,

In order to keep the base map that all see uncluttered and responsive there are limitations on what can be added to it.  Google then provides multiple different ways to make custom maps on top of the base map so that you can add whatever you wish to such a map.

The type of features you are attempting to map is the sort of feature that belongs on a custom map.  In this case it is indicated by the fact that there is no appropriate category and also by the fact that the features do not have proper names.

Of the multiple solutions available to you, Google My Maps is likely the best to use for this scenario.  A My Map can be made public and searchable, and if well constructed it can appear when people search for such features.

Level 9

@hilarleo

my maps has the functionality you are looking for. coordinates and info can also be inputed through csv files which can be more efficient for things like creating a data layer of all of the plaques in a city or town. 

it would be great if my maps was more intuitive to use BUT it exists and is the correct platform for this type of mapping.

Connect Moderator

@CaptainHook wrote:
  1. I thought the map is kept uncluttered by very different mechanisms than limitations on the content: try and search for Nuselský most in Prague for example - not the street but the bridge - success?

There are multiple mechanisms; with restrictions on what can be on the base map being a major one.

1. I hope the list of categories does not indicate what should and should not be added. That would prevent a great amount of businesses from being present on it. (E.g. bathroom and kitchen design studios)

There are always more general categories that a business with a storefront can use, such as "Interior designer" .  What you are inquiring about is not a business.

1. Custom maps are a nice feature that is extremely usefull for showing the content of maps in different perspective but definitelly not for holding a content that is simply missing in it.

I'm afraid that isn't an argument that justifies adding anything that anyone wants to Maps.  There does need to be some restrictions.

And the way that Maps works is that items without names do not appear in searches.  It is also not acceptable to use a description in place of a name, as that leads to people being able to fill the name field with whatever they want.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Hi @RPaulR

Do you say that these things used to appear in maps and were deleted?

Can you specify the issues, please?

...asking for curiousity.

Level 8

OK, that make sense, thank you, @Flash.