YK1001's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Mapmaker update Feb 2017

Mapmaker team post an official update at Mapmaker Help Forum.

Graduation date of March 31 is reaffirmed.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!topic/map-maker/5m7xLsiEFB0

8 comments
Level 10

Re: Mapmaker update Feb 2017

Thanks, @YK1001

Connect Moderator

Level 8

@ShafiulB, good new to me can be bad news to you.  And vice versa.

For each change, some will be happy and some will get upset.

Let's see what tomorrow will bring us.

Connect Moderator

Level 8

The problem with Google Maps edits is that it is meant as a POI tool. Map Maker on the other hand, is a more complex tool.

For areas where Maps are maintained very well by Google, it makes sense to rely on POI edits and move away form Map Maker. However, for areas that are not maintained well, there are fundamental problems with Maps especially navigation. Streets are not drawn properly, not up to date, and not marked for closure. This is why I started using Map Maker in my city which is not maintained well.

Limiting streets edits to Google moderators through reports does not seem like a promising route since edits on Map Maker can take more than a year to be reviewed by Google moderators.

Level 10

@SaadA wrote:

The problem with Google Maps edits is that it is meant as a POI tool. Map Maker on the other hand, is a more complex tool.

For areas where Maps are maintained very well by Google, it makes sense to rely on POI edits and move away form Map Maker. However, for areas that are not maintained well, there are fundamental problems with Maps especially navigation. Streets are not drawn properly, not up to date, and not marked for closure. This is why I started using Map Maker in my city which is not maintained well.

Limiting streets edits to Google moderators through reports does not seem like a promising route since edits on Map Maker can take more than a year to be reviewed by Google moderators.

So true @Saad_AlDossary

Anyway, thanks for update @YK1001

Level 8

@SaadA wrote:

However, for areas that are not maintained well, there are fundamental problems with Maps especially navigation. Streets are not drawn properly, not up to date, and not marked for closure. This is why I started using Map Maker in my city which is not maintained well.

Which is like 95% of the world.

I can't count the people who told me they stopped using Maps for navigation due to its wrong and misleading directions.

Great way to make maps slide into oblivion.

I personally have ~3k pending edits which have been waiting for more than a year, most of which pertain to my area and they're gonna be lost forever on march 31st.

I'm serioously asking myself whether continuing contributing is just a waste of time at this point. And i used to like it a lot.

Level 8

Hi @LStefanoL,

How about seeing in this way.

All of your pending now got a chance to get reviewed.  As they are encouraging mappers to stop submit edits, to focus on clearing the back log.

Worse case, instead of have thousands of pending edit going don't-know where.  You have a new platform to redo and have a hope to got published.

We can keep dreaming.