OStr's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Map markers no longer movable?

I just wish I had more ability to see if that particular location has any GMB information on file.  I suspect it doesn't given the nature of the location.  IMO Google should opt to trust the other businesses using that address who do have GMB or other verifiable information when determining the validity of the marker (re)location.  Since I suspect there is no information explicitly listed with Google, I have to wonder where the bad information is coming from and why Google is trusting it over other resources.  I don't see where Google has much excuse to not improve their product (free or otherwise) when these issues are found.  I'd expect the same to be done for Gmail errors/bugs or Chrome errors/bugs - both of which are also free.

Level 10

@OStr wrote:

@Jonesnco, the bank branch I was trying to move is showing on one side of the plaza, while the financial advisor who works in that branch is showing, correctly, on the other side, some 100m away. Of course, the bank location is included in their GMB database, while the advisor's location isn't. When I try to fix the bank location, I get instant "NOT APPLIED". When a friend with zero edits tried it, it shows as "PENDING". We'll see how that turns out.

My friend's edit just went through, after five days. To remind you, she is a Level 1, and this was her only edit ever. When I tried the same edit last week, it was rejected instantly.

As others have already noted, under the new algorithm, trust is something you start with, and can only use up as you keep editing. The only way to regain trust is to create a new account.

Level 8

That, sadly, sound logical based on what you experienced.

I wonder if your friend could add the dozen or so places in Seoul I tried to add that are still sitting in pending and have been for over two months...or has she burned all her 'trust' with the one edit.

Level 8

I'm afraid that is not correct at all.

Trust is something with which you have some at the beginning, and then your editing either increases or decreases your trust.

The way to regain trust is to ensure all your edits are correct and follow Google's rules.  If you have lost trust you definitely have to adjust your editing.

If you create a new account and edit the same, that account too will lose trust.  Since the vast majority of people have not lost trust, a new account losing trust does not demonstrate that trust is something that "you can only use up", but rather that the filtering of that individual's edits is intentional.

Hopefully, Google will adjust things so that people who are largely making good edits but who are heavily filtered can start to make more edits so they can regain trust faster.  This has been pointed that out to Google a few times by mods and TCs, and having @BruceDM advocate for that will help, but that's not going to help if you make the exact same edits as before.

Google Maps Platinum Product Expert, Top Contributor for Google Map Maker (Product Retired) and Regional Lead (Product Retired).
Level 8

Google will adjust things so that people who are largely making good edits but who are heavily filtered can start

> to make more edits so they can regain trust faster.

I think this thread demonstrated that at least some will indicate there is nothing to 'adjust' while most of us disagree with that opinion and can provide evidence to the contrary.

> @BruceDM advocate for that will help, but that's not going to help if you make the exact same edits as before.

I certainly hope he has someone's ear who both can and wants to address the issue.  We don't seem to.  As I pointed out, we can provide a large amount of information to Google backing our edits to show they are more correct than the existing information but whatever systems process that information seem to not take any of that into account and end up retaining information that, from a logical perspective, is clearly wrong.  Of course, teaching a machine to think this way isn't arbitrary at all.  We just wish those trying to make the machines think this way would take our information and fine tune the code and processes.  That is pretty much the volunteer job we signed up for and our frustration is we feel we are being 'job blocked'.

Connect Moderator

I think this thread demonstrated that at least some will indicate there is nothing to 'adjust' while most of us disagree with that opinion and can provide evidence to the contrary.

For most that have provided details of some of their edits there has been definite issues with a portion of their edits.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

I think if you could honestly replace 'some' with 'all', I might feel the issues were 'fixed' and solely a result of human error on our part.  We have little to no ability to find evidence in Google's systems why all these edits were flagged as in error.  Perhaps if we had that kind of access it would improve the quality of edits.  However, we are just told our edits are rejected.  It could be GMB with bad user input, garbage edit submissions from that business's competitor, or the moon's current phase for all we know.  We >might< be told the edit 'could not be verified' but I searched quite a bit on the edit I mentioned a week ago and other than one other mapping site having the same bogus marker could find nothing countering what I input for the marker edit.  Interestingly I was able to change the hours (none had been listed) for that Maps entry so why was one edit from the same user 'trusted' and the other not?

I definitely feel like we (LGs) are being left out of the loop on at least providing input - much like webdevs would with UX testing.  Maybe I am reading too much or too little into the respons(es) since text responses lack the nuances of verbal responses.  Clearly we are not going to be sitting in some conference room at Google HQ or at a terminal coding but the response out of Google seemed a bit dismissive to me...and perhaps to others here.

Level 10

@Flash wrote:

For most that have provided details of some of their edits there has been definite issues with a portion of their edits.

Yes, @Flash, it's all our fault. All of a sudden seven weeks ago, experienced LGs all over the world with thousands of successful edits started making only bad edits.

Interestingly, the same "bad edits" rejected when a Level 8-10 attempts them go through just fine when a Level 1 makes the exact same edit. Sometimes I have to shake my head in disbelief at the logical and linguistic acrobatics you'll go through just to avoid saying, yes, there's a problem with the software.

Connect Moderator

We have little to no ability to find evidence in Google's systems why all these edits were flagged as in error.

The moderators and other mapping experts remain committed to helping anyone that wishes to figure out where their editing might be an issue.

If you start another thread and give sample edits you wish to make with all the data including exact GPS location, any existing POI, and exactly what data you were trying to add or edit.  With that mapping experts can look it over and let you know if there are obvious and/or likely issues that you can fix.

Some people have done so and are using the information to adjust their edits.  We will continue to work with them to help them regain their trust.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Connect Moderator

@OStr, I will again remind you to be civil in the forums.  I will also ask that you stop putting words into my mouth, as what you describe is not at all what I have ever said.