OStr's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Map markers no longer movable?

Yesterday I moved about three markers With no issue. I haven't tried today.   Wednesday I had nothing but grief trying to add one place to Maps.

Level 10

I tried two marker moves today. One went through instantly, the other was instantly rejected.

Level 10

In the past two days I have attempted 5 map marker moves.

None of the went through. New record!

Level 8

I had a marker move work this afternoon but when trying to add two businesses (not new but missing from Maps) both immediately are rejected.  This reminds me of the Paris Baguette fiasco from a month and a half ago (which is STILL stuck in 'pending').

What's frustrating is I have to do a lot in order to be able to add a missing business. A lot of manual input has to go into Maps in addition to the photo(s).  I guess since they are small, locally-owned businesses they are among the unwashed masses who get ignored?  Probably part of the problem is these companies rely on Facebook for their business presents online. Most of them don't have the resources to have a separate a web page and I think in part because of that Google rejects any attempts to add them to Maps.  Simply, if there is no business-owned website from which Google can scrape information, it reduces the reputation of any entry made by even LGs to nearly nothing.  Google's typical response will be the businesses need to contact Google to be listed but if they don't have enough time to manage a website they probably don't have enough time to call, get a postcard, return it, deal with any subsequent emails from Google, etc.  This is unfortunate because since in some regards Facebook is a competing product to Maps it is handing the businesses to Facebook (versus, oh, something like G+?).

Connect Moderator

I'm glad to here you had some successful moves.  This is what is meant when we say things will settle down after a major change.  Stopping editing doesn't show Google anything, but editing and being denied let's refining of the algorithms happen.

Google cannot scrape the information off of Facebook, that would be copyright infringement.

A business can add their Facebook page to their listing via GMB if there is no more authorative site under their control.  You should not remove such additions, but we are not to add them ourselves as that raises the question of where we are getting our other data.  Google must ensure they are not putting themselves into a postion of being sued for suspected copyright infringement.

While I enjoy helping businesses appear correctly on the map, I can't accept your arguement that a business doesn't have the time or resources to make sure they are listed correctly with the biggest source used by the public, especially when it's free.  Ten years ago no business would think of not spending time and thousands of dollars a month making sure they were in the yellowpages; now the modern replacement is free and thus even easier.  It's part of being a successful business.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

@Flash wrote:

Google cannot scrape the information off of Facebook, that would be copyright infringement.

Google using Facebook.com to verify information entered by a LG on GMaps is not copyright infringement. I suggest you leave intellectual property law to those who know something about it.

Level 8

Since localguidesconnect apparently decided not to post my reply.  I did not state that Google scrapes information from Facebook. What I stated was there was/is no business-owned websites for most of these businesses. They are start-ups. Usually run by a single person who is working 80-plus hours a week and funneling every bit of money back into the business to keep it afloat.  They have precious little time and money so purchasing a domain is probably low on their list. Purchasing services from a hosting provider is probably low on their list. And trying to get GMB to do anything about their business is probably not even on their radar because Facebook's doing it for them.  Most of these businesses are run by typically non-technical people and they will simply use a Facebook page to publicly represent their business on the internet.  I'm willing to bet if I asked every one of the shop owners and even ask them about GMB they would assume I'm talking about some kind of new designer drug.  If they do know about GMB probably they've attempted to contact them but obviously there's been no results. Or they followed the Google instructions about adding a business and attempted to add their business through the Maps application which was immediately rejected just like my attempt to add their business to Maps.  And this rejection really doesn't detail contacting GMB.  So again they're having to spend time they don't really have to try to address a problem that from their perspective isn't a problem because from their perspective it's already been addressed by Facebook.

As for posting or removing Facebook information from Maps, your comment seems to imply that I'm doing this. Was that your intent?  I was under the impression Facebook information was not to be added to Maps.  Since I cannot confirm that Facebook page is even owned/managed by the business it would make no sense to add it anyway. 

Connect Moderator

@OStr wrote:

@Flash wrote:

Google using Facebook.com to verify information entered by a LG on GMaps is not copyright infringement. 

That is not what the word "scraping" means.  My advice was appropriate.

Please keep your tone in the forums civil.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Connect Moderator

As for posting or removing Facebook information from Maps, your comment seems to imply that I'm doing this. Was that your intent?

I'm sorry if you misunderstood, I was simply stating that people should not remove Facebook pages added by owners.  Removing ones added by mappers is not an issue.

Level 8

"I was simply stating that people should not remove Facebook pages added by owners.  Removing ones added by mappers is not an issue."

I am not sure how I would know how to tell the difference in who added a URL (or really any info) in a Maps entry.  I'd likely only add missing information unless something is clearly, verifiably wrong (phone number, hours, address, etc).