JohnC's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

Map edit updated , but not showing as approved

I have edited a location of a business. This has now updated on Google Maps, however, it is still showing as pending in my contributions and I have not received any points for this.

The edit was done a few weeks ago now

Maps.png.

7 comments
Level 7

Re: Map edit updated , but not showing as approved

I find that sometimes location edits go through quickly, and other times they take months. My most annoying was when I added a business, and trusted the pin to get the right address (because I didn't know the number of the address) - and then Google put the business down the road on the other side of the street. And the pin now showed in the wrong location for a few months. However, I see that is now showing in the right location!  So, don't give up hope on your edit being accepted.

Level 8

Hi @JohnC,

I also experience this before.

If I recall correctly, the situation is like this:

1.  I submit an edit of a Claimed Business for Business Hours

2.  Before I leave the Place, I inform the staff that their information in Maps is incorrect

3.  While I am on Bus, I discovered the Business Hours is updated already, while my edit is still pending

- I guess it is the Owner edited their own listing in the GMB Dashboard and got published immediately.

I don't know what will happen if:

a.  You edited the BH and pending

b.  5 minutes later, I edit the same and pending

So may be 1 weeks later when the BH is published, there may be 20 identifical edits.  Will maps use the 1st edit for publishing?  What will happen to the other 19 identifical edits?

(Or the system will auto-approve when there is certain identifical edits submitted?)

Level 8

Some edits need to atleast 24 hours to make approval

Connect Moderator

There have been multiple edits within the past few days to move this place.  You state that this is now in the correct location; a check shows that the last edit that was approved was not made from Maps.

If your edit and another edit were identical, only one can be approved.  Everyone will experience times when their edit is not the one approved when there are multiple edits.  You can only earn points if your edit is chosen, but I would not worry about it as there are thousands of more edits that you can make so 1 point will not really make a difference.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 2

Hi @Flash

Thanks for your feedback.

You mentioned there have been a number of edits for this location over the past few day. Is there a way in which I can see if an edit has been submitted for a place?

Also how were you able to see where the edit was made from?

Connect Moderator

I was able to view the edits in Map Maker.

A note about viewing them there; any edit not made in Map Maker states that Google made it.  That does not actually mean that a Google employee or algorithm made it, it simply means it was not a Map Maker user but rather one of their many other sources for data.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 9
Level 9

Whilst the explanations mentioned on this thread are true and there are often other mappers making the same edit at the same time, I think there is also another complimentary explanation.

I tested this by making a series of edits to a group of features via Maps. All the edits were made at the same time and MapMaker shows all the edits went through at the same time, but they all still show as Pending for me. There were nearby related features I deliberately left untouched. It would be extremely unlikely that another mapper was making the exact same edits as me at the same time and they also picked the exact same places as me and also ignored the exact same places I ignored.

The reasonable explanation is that sometimes when an LG makes an edit, Google looks at the info provided and it gets published but it is not attributed to the LG so stays pending?