SteveWestropUK's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Map Maker retirement

Curious to understand how this might affect Local Guides. Does it mean there will no longer be Regional Leads etc, and that Local Guides edits are trusted on their own merit?

11 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: Map Maker retirement

Hi @SteveWestropUK, thanks for bringing your question to the community. As you know, today we announced that Map Maker will be graduating into Google Maps over the next year. Throughout 2016 we have been incorporating learnings and functionality from Map Maker and its community of passionate mappers into Google Maps. You may have noticed the improved experiences in adding places, editing places, moderating edits and more. 

This product change does not affect Local Guides. Edits made to places on Google Maps through Maps and Map Maker both count toward points in the Local Guides program. We are simply streamlining the mapping experience and our own resources to execute faster and deliver an even better Maps experience. Look for new features to continue to roll out over the next year. 

The Regional Leads program as it exists today will end when Map Maker fully shuts down. We are working on ways to expedite the review process for Local Guides, but the trust score approach will continue on Google Maps as it has been with Map Maker, meaning as the quality and accuracy of your contributions increase, so does the speed at which your edits are approved. 

Level 10

This is really a shocking news. I'm not a great mapper, but i personally know people that contributed with thousands and thousands of edit, adding road, buildings (when this was possible), railroads.... i think that this shut down will leave everyone a little more poor in terms of available tools and options.

Level 10

@CorrieWill it be possible to add streets anymore? Because the data of Google maps is very bad in some areas. And the passionate editing of the map maker users is the only way to make the data better. I cant really imagine how Google will solve this Problem. I think the data will getting worse.

@DanielSt The Maps team is working to bring road editing to Google Maps next year. 

Level 9

@Corrie That means Regional Lead will be end after March, 2017. Am I right?

Have you any plan to add new Trusted Mapper like RER, RL in Google Maps after retire Google Map Maker?

Regards

Amitesh Gayen

@Amitesh_Gayen We are still talking with the Google Maps team about trusted moderators and reviewers and what that will look like next year. 

Level 9

@Corrie Thanks

Level 8

Hi @Corrie,

I hope Connect Forum can have a dedicated area for related discussions.

@Amitesh_Gayen,

You might want to follow this topic at Mapmaker Forum.  Certain points you raised also got discussed.

@YK1001 We have this dedicated portion of the site for Mapping already 🙂