LStefanoL's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Locations piling up

I'd like to report one of the long standing and unresolved issue i noticed within the Maps ecosystem.
I'm talking about what i call "accumulation points".
By that i mean certain spots where locations with a bad address (imprecise, bearing a street name not yet present on maps but entered nonetheless, typoed, etc..) tend to pile up due to the automatic placement of the pin on the map.

Locations are literally stacked one on top of the other and you're unable to see all of them unless you move/remove those on top first (or use mapmaker).
I am sure you've encountered that too.

How are we gonna deal with this after loosing "Find near this place" to the mapmaker shutdown?

7 comments
Level 8

Re: Locations piling up

I've encountered the same problem at several locations.

Level 10

Yes, lts of times. Even with correct addresses - imagine a shopping mall at Number # X Street as its "street address" - and all the smaller shops inside have the same street address. There are dozens of businesses at the exact same point.

Level 8

even more: there are plenty of localities without any address points. Google promised to solve this issue out 2 years ago. till now there is still no solution for this ...

Level 8

@TomášJ wrote:

there are plenty of localities without any address points.

What do you mean exactly?

Level 8

I mean this: we still cannot "deploy" new address points via Maps - GM only generates a report message to Google, which -sadly- is not processed. without address points Maps cannot work properly; hence new POIs are being "piled" on one another at the same aggregation point. generally rural areas, or little towns, are not covered with address points. we repeatedly complained to Google of this issue, yet without success. (PS: MapMaker wasn't able to create new address points either: because it needed defined routes close around).

Level 10

Hi @Tom-SR

In MapMaker, we still have the ability to edit (and add new) street addresses (house/building numbers). If I recall correctly, at least editing is also available in Maps for mobile (at least on Android).

Level 8

hello @Csaba. not so really  🙂  let me explain in details: albeit it's still possible to use MapMaker (not Maps) for "deployment" of new address points, these will not work quite the same way as the ones created by Google, or via Maps (yes, it was possible to make new address points formerly). why --> MapMaker engineers did not provide the cadastre number box, only the street one. therefore, when you type in the cadastre number / street number, the system will treat this number as a whole, not as two separate numbers. you can see the consequences in search results, that if there are two POIs and each has its own format of the address, only one of them will be shown in search results, when Maps get queried via an address. only Maps can separate these numbers properly, but what Maps usually do, is sending a report request for changing an existing address point to another one, which is completely misleading and confusing. I asked Google if are going to be given this option in the next Maps update, but the answer was: "no"...  😕

PS: via Maps /mobile apps we can do "easy" edits only, such as moving address points to their proper location, but you can't change the address information directly, like we were used to in MapMaker. you have to wait for Google, and the waiting times are indeed long. it seems that these edits/requests have the lowest priority among the others.