MichaelGwiz's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Link to Map Item for Edits / Review / Spam report

For discussion board / technical help, there doesn't seem to be a way to link from an edit or an item that needs to be edited.  

I realize there is a "location" tab below, but it doesn't seem to accept copypasta of the google map browser info, and there is no identifier on the "check the facts" tab.  In fact, there is nothing on the check the facts tab that could be copy pasted either.   Example:

Capture.JPG

For answering issues, this might be very useful for admins (ie more experienced editors than myself).  But it creates an issue for spam changes (I've seen several this morning) and there's no way to submit them so that spam filtering can occur). 

8 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: Link to Map Item for Edits / Review / Spam report

@MichaelGwiz

We can only do our best and communication can be very hard on this forum, as one word - differently interpretated - might give somebody completely the wrong idea.

I am now going to attempt an overview of what I have learned related to your topic. To do so, I am likely to state the obvious here and there.

1) In discussion posts on this forum you can insert a link to show fellow LG the location you are talking about. In Google Maps, in the box with the details of the POI, is a share button which gives you either a full or a short URL link to the listing with map-view.

example

2) If somebody changes an editable part of a listing into a spam message. The best way forward is to change it back (by re-editing it) to the data that was there originally/ the correct details. It is my understanding that by doing so the Google algorithm will recognize that you obviously disagree with the recent change. It is possible that you have not yet enough weight/authority in the algorithm, so it might have to be reviewed by multiple lower level people or one or few high-level people. Either way, if the conclusion is that you correctly changed the listing, the automatic system will register that you made a reliable edit and will remember that. On the other hand, the spammer that made the incorrect edit drops down in reliability. Soon enough the system will understand that the behaviour of this person is wrong. Since you can only see who makes reviews and not edits, there is no way you and I on our level can look into the spammer.

Conclusion: If the POI should exists/ stay on the map and is by itself not spam, only part of the data, then correct the data. --> Edit

3) If a Spammer adds a POI that should not be there, then you set the slider to "Yes" at this place is closed or never existed. Then your dialog will change and you have the option to select Spam.

Please note, if you get the impression that the person that added the bad POI interest had no intention to spam (e.g. the info added is correct but the business added should not be on maps), then do not select spam as your reason to get the listing removed. It is possible that the person is not aware of the rules and added something that is not mappable. In that case, you select "this place never existed". Once aproved, the POI will be removed from the map altogether!

the dialog after you changed the slider to YESthe dialog after you changed the slider to YES

4) If somebody else has already made the same edit/report, but the incorrect data is still on the map, you may find their edit under the "Check the Facts" tap on the map with a + sign and a circle around it. Certain map edits can take many weeks, as they require a high level map editor to look at it. In case somebody has spammed important information like the phone number of a hospital or something else that is important and urgent, then you can escalate your issue in this forum by tagging a person you think might be able to help you (this includes Google Moderators)

5) Businesses can prevent spam, by claiming their business listing. This is outside the LG programme. However, personally I find it good practice to talk to the owner of a business after I added them, to make them aware of the reasons why they should control of their listing. 

I hope this answers your question, if not, let me know.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Jero

View solution in original post

Level 8

Hi @MichaelGwiz,

I am not sure I fully understand your question/ feedback. I am getting the impression you might be talking about multiple topics. 
To get the best results on these forum, is to first understand what all the forum sections stand for and to post each topic seperately at the right forum.

From what I understand from your post, I like to point out that there is a difference to performing edits and "check the facts". When making an edit, you pro-actively inform Maps about some incorrect data. As Google likes to check the edits of people, they have created this review system where you are basically giving your feedback on the changes made by other. Simply answer the question. You do not need to be an administrator or high level LG to know stuff about the reality/real world of your area. If it happens that there is also something else wrong in addition to the edit you are reviewing, than go to maps, find the same location and submit your edit.

Perhaps an answer to what you are trying to say is that you ask for a new feature (other forum section), that when checking the facts of an edit that their is a way simply click and add another edit to the same listing?

Keep up the good work, but do yourself a favour and invest some time in learning the ins- and outs of this community. That way, you will be much more effective and safe yourself lots of time in the end.

Thanks!

Jero

Level 7

@JeroenM

Thanks for the reply, but perhaps I wasn't clear enough.  

No, I was saying that there's a specific issue with identification:  there's no way (no mechanism) to report an instance or ask for guidance on a specific map item because there's no specific identifier or direct link to that item.  This makes it difficult to report into the discussion board for peer review or even to send it to the business owner so they can fix it.  So I was asking for suggestions for identification for map items.

Yes, in the picture, I posted, that's from the "check the facts" sidebar, but I apologize if that distracted from the posts intent: my intention with this post was to see if anyone had a better method for specifically linking to a map item so issues could be addressed.  I am aware there are some differences between the edit vs check the facts interfaces.  And yep, I'm aware that there may be no solution to this issue.  But if that's the case, then there are some significant repercussions on reliability: i.e. I've seen two mental health and one public park with contact info changed this morning - with spam-like similarities within the changes.  How can people report it, if there's no way to identify it?   Hence my post.

Again, thank you for your reply, your attention to this dialogue, and have a great day.

Level 8
Solution

@MichaelGwiz

We can only do our best and communication can be very hard on this forum, as one word - differently interpretated - might give somebody completely the wrong idea.

I am now going to attempt an overview of what I have learned related to your topic. To do so, I am likely to state the obvious here and there.

1) In discussion posts on this forum you can insert a link to show fellow LG the location you are talking about. In Google Maps, in the box with the details of the POI, is a share button which gives you either a full or a short URL link to the listing with map-view.

example

2) If somebody changes an editable part of a listing into a spam message. The best way forward is to change it back (by re-editing it) to the data that was there originally/ the correct details. It is my understanding that by doing so the Google algorithm will recognize that you obviously disagree with the recent change. It is possible that you have not yet enough weight/authority in the algorithm, so it might have to be reviewed by multiple lower level people or one or few high-level people. Either way, if the conclusion is that you correctly changed the listing, the automatic system will register that you made a reliable edit and will remember that. On the other hand, the spammer that made the incorrect edit drops down in reliability. Soon enough the system will understand that the behaviour of this person is wrong. Since you can only see who makes reviews and not edits, there is no way you and I on our level can look into the spammer.

Conclusion: If the POI should exists/ stay on the map and is by itself not spam, only part of the data, then correct the data. --> Edit

3) If a Spammer adds a POI that should not be there, then you set the slider to "Yes" at this place is closed or never existed. Then your dialog will change and you have the option to select Spam.

Please note, if you get the impression that the person that added the bad POI interest had no intention to spam (e.g. the info added is correct but the business added should not be on maps), then do not select spam as your reason to get the listing removed. It is possible that the person is not aware of the rules and added something that is not mappable. In that case, you select "this place never existed". Once aproved, the POI will be removed from the map altogether!

the dialog after you changed the slider to YESthe dialog after you changed the slider to YES

4) If somebody else has already made the same edit/report, but the incorrect data is still on the map, you may find their edit under the "Check the Facts" tap on the map with a + sign and a circle around it. Certain map edits can take many weeks, as they require a high level map editor to look at it. In case somebody has spammed important information like the phone number of a hospital or something else that is important and urgent, then you can escalate your issue in this forum by tagging a person you think might be able to help you (this includes Google Moderators)

5) Businesses can prevent spam, by claiming their business listing. This is outside the LG programme. However, personally I find it good practice to talk to the owner of a business after I added them, to make them aware of the reasons why they should control of their listing. 

I hope this answers your question, if not, let me know.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Jero

Level 7

That's very thorough.

1)  The links you id'd I'm looking at.  That looks appropriate.

a) So there are no links on the "check the facts" because the algorithm is catching the submitter in this section.  cool.

1) Escalation.  Just in case, I'm posting the phone number here.  (844) 746-9111.  Perhaps my reply to your reply will pop up in forum searches if it becomes widespread. --> After I saw two changes to mental health providers today, I noticed that it was "suggested" that both their numbers switch to this number.  So I went looking and found another local drug and alcohol help hotline had the same suggested switch.  Number is listed as California, but called it and a Verizon message says it's disconnected.  Obviously I can't search the submissions by that phone number, but given the fact the suggestion hit three similar providers, it might be a bot with a fairly specific list making those suggestions. 

2)  Thanks for your assistance today.  You should get paid by the word!

Later, Michael

Level 8

@MichaelGwiz

Could you please clarify that the live details on the map are correct at the moment? If so, I think you are done. Just keep an eye on it for a little while. 

If not, and the live date needs to be changed, you need to be specific about the locations that need attention. Names of the institutions/ listings and  complete adresses or links to the map, etc. At this moment I don't even know what city we are talking about.

It is time for bed where I live.

Good night.

Level 7

Following up as you suggested. 

I checked the live map, at least one is still showing up with their correct info.

one

The other two were also from the "check the facts" and they aren't popping up in my history, so I can't be sure.  But I checked the live of the places I believe the check the facts was referring to, and they are correct.  

Have a great day.  

Level 7

I found another instance of a suspicious number.  

1) As a reminder of the situation, on Monday I found 3 mental health places in Wilmington, NC (area code 910) that had their numbers 'suggested' changed to a defunct verizon number, (844) 746-9111 (California area code, though this is likely meaningless). I found them while using the "check the facts" review feature, and of course I "no'd" the incorrect change.  On Friday, on @JeroenM's suggestion I rechecked the one I was sure of, and it still had the correct info on the live map (see above.  There's no way to link to the "check the facts" sidebar instance, but you can share to the live map item)

2) Today, I just found another suspicious number.  (these are all Wilmington, NC businesses, area code 910).  Suspicious numbers:
(952) 260-2268 (A Minnesota area code) suggested for Wilmington,NC mental health providers
(844) 746-9111 (California area code number).  I found multiple in this category "suggested changed."  
(Edit on 4/6/2017...) I just found other numbers changed to these suspicious numbers
(888) 491-7601.  
(877) 343-1190.
(866) 371-1881 

My Working List.  These businesses are all local to Wilmington, NC.  I'm indicating how I came across them.
  a. "Suggested change" to (952) 260-2268:  Searise Sober Living - the live one is still showing the correct number (CRF ID p:fg_YWJ_XNInQmwGDjpmoAg:77)
  b. "Suggested change"to (952) 260-2268:  Kindred Transitional Care and Rehabilitation - appears to be a NC business in several towns, but in Wilmington (at link) the live map shows correct number. 
(mg: I edited this as I found more. 3/26/5:15pm EST)
  c.  "Suggested change" to (844) 746-9111: - for the Drug & Alcohol Assessment Services, the current live map is still correct.
  d.  "Suggested change" to (952) 260-2268: Wilmington Health and Rehabilitation Center, live map is still correct.
  e.  "Suggested change" to (844) 746-9111 - for the Rape Crisis Center of Coastal Horiozon's Center, Inc., live map is still correct.
  f.   "Suggested change" to (952) 260-2268:  for Coastal Rehabilitation: Gemelli Peter MD, live map is still correct.   *** this one is interesting, although it has "rehab" in the name, Dr. Gemelli's office does orthopedic rehabilitation, post surgery PT, not mental health or drug rehab.  So whatever spider or search is crawling rehab generically, it is less likely an industry list.
  g.    "Suggested change" to (952) 260-2268 for Azalea Health and Rehab Center, a nursing home, though it has rehab in the name
  h.  (found 4/6/2017)  "Suggested change to (844) 746-9111 for Cape Fear Psychological, a psych provider.
 i.  (found 4/6/2017)  "Suggested change" to (952) 260-2268 for Silver Stream Health
j.  (found 4/6/2017"  "Suggested change to (888) 491-7601, for Searise, already attacked once above.  See a. above.
k.   (found 4/6/2017)  ...  to (877) 343-1190, for Quality Bookkeeping ... (curiously, this one isn't mental health, but is local.  It's also a different number.  but this number has been reported before.  
l.  (found 4-6-2017 ... to (866) 371-1881, for another CPA
m.  (found 4-11-2017)   @TimothyAce found  ECMC Depew Clinic in Depew, NY changed to (844) 746-9111

3)  Commonalities:
a.  I don't have a good theory for why mental health providers are having this happen.  They do share a common trait that many are not 'claimed' by their business.  Also, many would probably show on a generic search for "rehab" in this area. 
b.  Edit:  The CPA's apparently have it happening too.  Perhaps a different set of numbers.  see k and l above.

4)  Side note.  I might have come across an unverified and not-very-direct method for identifying the "check the facts" citation.  If you view page source, each "check the facts" div item seems to carry a "jstrack" number, the session id that loaded with the sidebar widget.  For instance, Seaside shows  jstrack="fg_YWJ_XNInQmwGDjpmoAg:77".  The same id is in the jsaction for registering the vote: "data-vote-type="3" ved="1i:3,t:31288,e:2,p:fg_YWJ_XNInQmwGDjpmoAg:77" vet="31288".  As you'd expect, across all the "check the facts" instances in the browser, the jstrack number is reference the same, but the ":77" incriments upward for each item.  So the header is 70, Searise is 77, and Kindred was 83.  While the vet number seems to be a five digit identifier, it actually seems to id the button action, 31287, 31288, or 31289.  Likely, this is all useless, but it might be useful if a Google person needed to replicate my session, or what I'm seeing, if they ever cared to.

5)  Holy marbles.  This post is far more involved than I thought it would be.  Hopefully it's not confusing and hopefully it is useful to someone.  And Kudos to the editors who came before me.
Level 8

Gregg,

@GreggG

Michael here, as done a very detailed analysis of multiple cases, after he spotted that mental health institutions seem to be targeted in his area, what looks like SPAM.

It sounds to me that the Google auto-algorithms are doing its job to prevent the suspicious phone-numbers being published.

Am I correct in thinking that we do not need to escalate spam when it is spotted BEFORE it goes live? Or should we, in case we are as diligent as Michael here, report this? Particularly since it is not a one-off, but seems to be a repeated targeted event?

Looking forward to your feedback.

Thanks!

Jeroen