MasDinnu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Limited Category

Is that possible to Local Guide make/add a new category to the map? Is that possible how, if no, why? because we sometimes found a limited category when adding a new place or editing the wrong category. Thanks.

| Indonesia Local Guides | SVTP | Work-Study-Holiday | Yogyakarta Local Guides | Nunukan Local Guides | Jakarta Local Guides |
4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Limited Category

Hello,

While updates are made to the category lists, they are rare as the list is fairly mature.

Sometimes when you cannot find the appropriate category it is because the feature is not mappable.  Other times it is because the feature can be mapped, but is not one of the items currently available in the simple editing presented in Maps.  Google is working on adding to Maps the more complex editing that was until recently available in another tool, until then we must ask Google to make the edits for us.

To get advice on whether an item is not mappable or whether it is but we must ask Google to do it, please post here in the forum the details of what you are trying to add.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello,

While updates are made to the category lists, they are rare as the list is fairly mature.

Sometimes when you cannot find the appropriate category it is because the feature is not mappable.  Other times it is because the feature can be mapped, but is not one of the items currently available in the simple editing presented in Maps.  Google is working on adding to Maps the more complex editing that was until recently available in another tool, until then we must ask Google to make the edits for us.

To get advice on whether an item is not mappable or whether it is but we must ask Google to do it, please post here in the forum the details of what you are trying to add.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 4

And how can I ask google to change the category of a location I created?

Level 7

@bnegrao wrote:

Try edit info about a place.  

You still must choose from the same list of categories -- you do not get to create one that's not listed.

Level 10

@bnegrao wrote:

Hi bnegrao,

There are three answers to your question 😉  -- which I have captioned "A" "B" and "C" 😉  😉

A.

Because there isn't an up-to-date list of all the Maps categories available, if you want to have a change made to a category that doesn't display on the "menu selection" in "Suggest an Edit", but is a Maps category that is available, you would submit that suggestion by (1) first clicking on the feature (point of interest) in Google Maps that you want to request a different category for.

(2) After the information (knowledge panel) window has opened for your feature, click on "Send feedback" at the bottom of the maps page (it is in very small type).

A new panel (window) will open (which has the name of your feature/POI at the top.)  (3) Click on the very bottom option "Other feedback".

This will open a feedback form that includes a screenshot of the feature/POI you want to change.  

(4) In the comments request the name of the category you want this to be changed to, along with an explanation as to why you want it changed.  Even if the reason for the change seems "obvious" to you, it may not be obvious to the Googler (employee) reading it 😉  If you initially chose a category because you didn't know a better category was available, you could mention that.

(5) If you want you can highlight the feature on the screenshot. In any event, the screenshot will be automatically sent and will include the information about your feature/point of interest.

(6) Click on Send 

I have read that the edit queue for requests such as this (that require a Googler to  make a change) is quite long -- perhaps two months or more. (I don't have any authoritative info on how long edits are taking 😉

B.

If you don't know if there is an "approved category" for your feature/point of interest, simply ask a question in this forum explaining what you want to find out (posting a link to the feature/POI is ALWAYS a good idea 😉 and someone will be able to tell you what possible categories are available.

For example, recently there was a discussion in this forum about a Local Guide who added a beach ... but because "Beach" isn't shown in the "category menu" ... the Local Guide used (I think) "Tourist Attraction".  To make that change (to "Beach") you would do he steps outlined in "A" above.  If you don''t know if "Beach" or something like it is available, then asking a question here will get 'ya the answers 😉

C.  

If you know that the Category you want to use does not appear on any "approved" list of "available categories", then you would be requesting a new category be added to Google Maps.

The step to take on that is to post your request in this forum, where it will be considered, discussed, etc. by Top Contributors (TCs).  They may ask you for more information (or not).  If they feel your category suggestion has merit, they will then forward that to the Team for possible inclusion.  My experience is that you will receive information (response) from a TC either way.

Pro-tip: Provide appropriate supporting information with your request.  This may require you spending some time and energy researching this category.  So instead of just suggesting "please add "Prototype Designer" or "Prototype Fabrication" as a new category ... including information (a) defining what a prototype designer is (b) how large the prototype market is (how many businesses are there in the world working in making/designing/creating prototypes?  (c) What categories are existing prototype fabricators on Google using now?  (d) What is the Standard Industrial Classification (SIC) (number) for "prototype designers"? (e) etc.

Of course, you don't 'hafta do any of that 😉 ... you are free to submit your suggestion any way you 'wanna 😉  But do submit it to this forum. 😉