ShyamalMondal's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

#Lets Mark Blood Donation Centers in Google Map

Awareness about blood donation in India is sharply skewed. While some states, like Delhi are able to accumulate 233% extra blood than what is required, other needy states like Bihar face a deficit of as much as 85%. The cause for this wide difference in blood donation is primarily the lack of knowledge about its simple process in the lesser-developed states and the various unfounded myths that people have harboured over the centuries. On the whole, India today faces a shortage of 10% relative to its blood requirements. In absolute terms, this means that we require to cover a shortfall of over 12 lakh units. Given that the eligible donor population of India is more than 512 million, this deficit is surprising. But it also means that the shortage of blood supply can be covered within a day. If only we contribute.

The Need For Blood

With more than 1200 road crashes occurring every day in India, 60 million trauma induced surgeries are performed in the country every year. The 230 million major operations, 331 million cancer related procedures like chemotherapy and 10 million pregnancy complications all require blood transfusion. Besides this, patients being treated for sickle cell anemia, thalassemia and haemophilia require large quantities of blood daily.

Another reason for the shortage of blood is the ban on payment to blood donors that was enacted in 1995. Previously almost one-third of the blood supply was from paid donors. But with the ban, both private and government hospitals have faced a larger shortage. However, difficult as it may be, this ban has also prevented unsafe blood donations where often people contaminated with communicable diseases appeared for paid donation frequently.

A Ray Of Hope

Voluntary blood donations increased from just 54.3% in 2006 to 83% at the end of 2012. The shortfall has also gone down from 17% to the present 9% of the blood requirement. Credit for this can be attributed to the many NGOs and blood bank organisations that have been operating in India, trying to sensitize the public of the benefits of blood donation. Notable among these like the Rotary, Red Cross, Save life, Sankalp and Lions have also been crucial in dispelling blood donation myths that prevent a large percentage of the population from coming forward to donate.

State-wise Performance

In 2016, while 16 states and UTs faced a shortage of blood supply, 18  had an excess of it. States like Sikkim, who initially faced a shortfall had increased availability by 22%, leading to a surplus of 4%. Generally, Maharashtra, Punjab and Kerala are the best performers in blood donation, with each state having an excess of blood supply of more than 35%.
However, sadly, incidents of wastage of blood units collected are frequent to happen in such states. Shelf life of collected blood is only 30-45 days, which means excess of blood needs to be soon sent to all needy areas. According to a reply made to an RTI, the Mumbai District AIDS COntrol Society revealed that over 130,000 liters of blood had been wasted between January 2011 and December 2015 due to over storing.

On the other end of the scale are poor performing states like Chhattisgarh, Arunachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh and Meghalaya who have struggled to meet their blood requirements by more than 50%.

So we can mark the Blood Donation Centers in Google maps to increase the chance of Blood Donations.

India
5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: #Lets Mark Blood Donation Centers in Google Map

Great idea brother @ShyamalMondal your idea is very helpful for society. Our small contribution helping millions of people.

Let's mark blood donation palaces on Google maps. 

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 10

Tank you so much...Lets do it.

Level 10

Level 10

I have already marked ours: https://goo.gl/maps/jGhtyyWbYiv

(And ever since the only photo of it is mine: https://goo.gl/maps/Xza16jxJuLM2 😉

They also have blood donation activities elsewhere (like @LucioV says "mobile"). Last week they came to my work place so I (again) donated some blood.

Google Vendor

Hi @ShyamalMondal,

I just wanted to let you know that I removed the accepted solution from your post because it doesn't answer any question or doesn't solve any issue you might have. The purpose of this feature is to help Local Guides find answers when searching on the Connect. Please take a look at : How do I mark comments as solutions? article.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages. Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. If you require urgent assistance, please tag a Google Moderator. Thank you!