AlexanderChalkidis's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Is it OK to include WiFi passwords in place descriptions?

Very often a cafe or restaurant has a wifi password for their free wifi service.  Is it OK to include it in the place description?  I think it is.  Not for personal wifi (like somebody's house) or non public locations of course.

We are making everyone's life easier, the waiter has one less thing to do, etc.

Any thoughts/experiences on this?

In Greece people use a thing called WiFi Detective which picks up the wifi passwords from FourSquare I think.  But FourSquare is dying precisely because it became a closed garden.

10 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Is it OK to include WiFi passwords in place descriptions?

While I agree that it means that it'll be one less thing to do, I think it wouldn't be the most ideal.

By sharing wifi passwords publicly, anybody (including those who are not dining in and are just hanging out nearby) in the area can tap on the network which can mean slow and choppy connection. In such eateries where cashless payment methods are mostly available, they rely on uninterrupted connection for quick settling of bills. 

Moreover, if these places have protected their wifi network, they must have preferred to keep it exclusive for diners and internal use only. 🙂

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

View solution in original post

Former Google Contributor
Solution

While I agree that it means that it'll be one less thing to do, I think it wouldn't be the most ideal.

By sharing wifi passwords publicly, anybody (including those who are not dining in and are just hanging out nearby) in the area can tap on the network which can mean slow and choppy connection. In such eateries where cashless payment methods are mostly available, they rely on uninterrupted connection for quick settling of bills. 

Moreover, if these places have protected their wifi network, they must have preferred to keep it exclusive for diners and internal use only. 🙂

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 10

@AlexanderChalkidis

in some restaurants there is OTP for Wifi password. 

but in some Restaurants they are set it's own passwords.

so, definitely it's not ok to share passwords publicly, because someone can use this information in wrong way.

so my advice is don't share wifi passwords publicly. 

HAPPY MAPPING 🙂

Add, Edit, Explore More ! || Google Maps Contributions || Gujju Local Guides on G+
Level 10

Good points BUT (there is always a but, or I wouldn't have started the thread!)

1. If it is a restaurant or place (museum for example) where by nature of the place nobody can gain access unless they are already there?

2. If I ask them and they are cool about it?

Also legally and practically speaking, any user can post whatever they like about the place if other users find it useful.  I see your points from a nice guy point of view but...real world reality check?

In any case, wifi passwords are just one of many things about a place which might best be left to individual local guide discretion.  It seems a bit silly that I can totally flame a place and describe it's toilet in detail but not it's wifi.

Level 7

As it's illegal to enter a WiFi network without permission.

Adding password to picture doesn't give them permission, only a possibility to enter it.

Simply write a review or a comment;

Ask for WiFi permission and password.

They are happy to give it to you.

Connect Moderator

As stated, if the place wanted anyone at all to access their network, they would not have password protected it to begin.

It really does not matter if you ask and find an owner that is OK with it; there is no way for other's to know or confirm this so if they saw it they should be removing it.

In the end none of this matters; as we do not have access to edit the descriptions.  The Wifi password does not belong in any of the fields we can edit.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

@GreggG wrote:

As stated, if the place wanted anyone at all to access their network, they would not have password protected it to begin.

It really does not matter if you ask and find an owner that is OK with it; there is no way for other's to know or confirm this so if they saw it they should be removing it.

In the end none of this matters; as we do not have access to edit the descriptions.  The Wifi password does not belong in any of the fields we can edit.

I saw some photos from inside pub, of posters with ssid and password printed on

Connect Moderator

I forgot to mention, the history of wifi access is that wifi hotspots used to be mappable.  Even when they were mappable, the password could not be entered.  Google then made the decision to remove all wifi hotspots from the map.  This is thus not something Google wants on the map.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

@JeslynL wrote:

This.

Level 5

Yeah, that helps both the customers and the employees. Definitely, google should consider adding that tab on the info in the maps app.