DesikanJ's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Incorrect Bus stops in Chennai OMR

I have been trying to report incorrect and non-existing Public Bus Stops in Chennai's OMR.

There are so many bus stops listed on Google map, but in reality many of them do not exist.

All my attempts to correct the location or report wrong bus stop seems to be in vain.

I have always found the bus numbers mentioned by google map in city to be incorrect, marking wrong location makes it impossible to use Google map for navigating with public bus service in Chennai.

Disclaimer : I have tried to use the Google Map for Public Bus commuting only in Chennai so far. Hence this post may be or may not be relevant in other cities.

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
11 comments
Level 8

Re: Incorrect Bus stops in Chennai OMR

@DesikanJ

When you said " trying to report", did you report this issue by using the feedback feature in Maps or did you try to edit each individual incorrect bus stop? 

Your problem is most definitely a local issue, as I use public transport navigation all the time in various cities around Europe without any problems. You tagged your post with "public transit",  so I assume you are aware that transit data on maps is provided by authorized partners in Google Maps Transit Program. 

Since it is in the interest of your local transit companies that the data on Maps is correct, you could also contact them.

Level 9

HI @JeroenM, Thanks for valuable information.

I have been reporting at individual places where there is mistake and haven't used Feedback.

Is using the feedback feature in map a more appropriate way for communicating these kind of issues ?

Level 9

HI @JeroenM, Thanks for valuable information. I have been reporting at individual places where there is mistake and haven't used Feedback. Is using the feedback feature in map a more appropriate way for communicating these kind of issues ?

Level 8

@DesikanJ

In my understanding, yes it is. This is guess work on my part, but I can imagine that edits to individual items that are managed by a transit partner are forwarded to this transit partner in their admin- console. Now if you are dealing with a transit partner in your city that does for example not have the manpower to manage the system as we can already conclude from the fact that the info is not correct, how long does it take for Google Transit Team to notice that they do a poor job?

By reporting the issue as a general problem for your area, you might trigger the Google Transit Team to investigate and contact the Transit Partner(s).
Today, I read another post from an LG stating that Transit Partners got bankrupt in his area and that therefore information on maps is becoming messy.  If the bad data on maps was provided by other transit companies than currently active in your city, talking to your transit companies, currently in business, could also be a good idea. 

Why? As I mentioned before, it is in their interest that people know about their bus-lines and time-schedules AND in case these companies are not yet Transit Partners of Google Maps, you may be the one triggering them to look into it and get things sorted.

Again, there is a lot of projecting and guessing here, but knowing a little about the system, this seems to me the most logical (common sense).

Level 9

@JeroenM Great!! It helps me to understand the issue in hand.

Coming to the guess part, You make sense and even if you are guessing / assuming, I believe you are not far from the actual fact.

I shall try to work with some Transit Company and work to improve the situation. Having too many non existing or non functional Bus stops would not help people.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Level 8

Good luck and keep us posted by sharing the outcome.

Former Google Contributor

Hello @DesikanJ,

I assume you have already tried suggesting an edit or editing the places info on Google Maps for the bus stops right?  Edits go through extensive review and are not always updated right away. Google Maps relies on various reputable institutions in a region as well as user generated content to try to make the maps as accurate as possible.  If the bus information is incorrect though, the Google Transit team could be of assistance but a member of your Transit agency will need to be involved.  I hope some of this information is useful!

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Former Google Contributor

@DesikanJ,

Just an FYI - I moved this discussion to the "Mapping Your World" section, for which this conversation is better suited. Thanks!

I am not available to respond on the weekend
Level 9

Thanks @BruceDM 🙂