hojomo's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 5

Identifying a new Train Stop

How do I assist the Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway to get a new Train Stop identified correctly on Google Maps? Location: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/51%C2%B058'31.1%22N+1%C2%B055'58.8%22W/@51.9750037,-1.9328515,15...

Satellite view shows the Hut & Platform, but it does not currently appear in Street View. The site has only been developed within the last 12 months.

I understand GWSR have contacted Google to achieve this, but have been told it cannot be added because it doesn't have a Ticket Office.

This is an important new tourist amenity which we need to get recognised. #DigitalTransformation means we no longer need Ticket Offices - some tickets can already be booked online, or by phone. iPhone App is being updated to accommodate.

Evidence of physical existence as below.

Hayles Abbey Halt 1 - TweetedPhoto.pngHayles Abbey Halt 2 - Map.png

Find me @hojomo in most social places
3 comments
Level 9

Re: Identifying a new Train Stop

Hello @hojomo as far as I know that transit authorities are allowed to add and modify transit informations. Requests from regular users will be refused/declined.

Google put these features on the map in these locations, because a transit authority asked for them. If there is an error, that authority will have to agree and to provide Google the correct information.

You need to contact with transit authority. For more information check out the link mention below 

https://maps.google.com/landing/transit/index.html

Happy Mapping 

Google Maps and Chrome Product Expert.

Always use @ before name to tag anyone on the Connect.
Connect Moderator

Hello,

@deepakjhic, please note that it has already been stated that the transit authority has already contacted Google.

@hojomo, Google has minimum requirements for places to be allowed on the base map seen by all, otherwise it would become so full of data that it would become slow and hard to find the desired information.  Having the ability to get help at a business location is one such requirement.  If Google has said no when this was submitted by the GWSR then that is the final answer.

What you can do is create a custom map.  Google provides the ability to create a map that has whatever features you want on it.  For this situation likely the best of the several options would be to use Google My Maps to create a custom map.  Such maps can be shared, embedded, and also made searchable; which means that by allowing it to be searched and by properly naming the features in it, it should then come up in people's Google Search of the railway and it's stops.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 5

Many thanks Flash - had to push it - whatever was said in reply to GWSR was not as clear and concise as your response, so they did not understand.

Will investigate the Custom Maps option.

Thanks again

H

Find me @hojomo in most social places