Michael-P's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Ideas for Playgrounds & Public Facilities of the World

Whats the problem: I took a friend who is 10 years old and we started looking for all the playgrounds in our area on Google Maps by searching "playground" keyword. Barely nothing was mapped of all the actual free playgrounds in the area.

Solution: Maybe better features to help LG's to map public places and services? 

For all the kids who veg out at home, can we globally start adding all the free playgrounds in the world? Would be good to map the outdoor fun in this world!

Then there is all the public facilities, like sports grounds, toilets, fitness stops, etc. These are often missing form Google Maps and are vital to the local community, to improve their lives.

Maybe Google Maps could look at making more features to help with mapping these public services and places?

Open discussion on ideas on improving the maps to help provide those details.

18 comments
Level 2

Re: Playgrounds of the World

I completely agree Michael, it's so easy to find consumer related places on Google, but those places that really enrich our lives like parks, playgrounds and trails are more difficult. I'm going to look into this and see if I can add playgrounds in my area, it would also be nice if they came along with a little description of "amenities" so we know before going if we are taking our kids to a playground with 2 swings or a whole setup with the works. Thanks for bringing this up!

Level 7

So, I've been working hard and I've mapped a lot of public toilets, bbq areas, playgrounds, public sports facilities outdoor, fitness stops, other public services in Melbourne. Still a lot of work to be done!

Level 10

Re: Playgrounds & Public Facilities of the World

Totally agree, as a father of two kids i can assure this information is very useful, specially the one related to Public Playgrounds. But before addressing such a huge task -not just the initial population of the data but also the update- i think Google would need to define standards for that info in terms of what elements are in the playground, to what ages is intended, etc.  Doing that the information would be homogeneous and it would be possible to create filters in search to enhance the user experience.
JAVIER GONZALEZ-SORIA
Level 9
Level 9

@Michael-P What's a fitness stop, can you link to some examples you've already mapped?

Level 7

Like at the gym, but outside and free. Series of exercise machines or stations from steel to warmup and do some basic workouts. Usually along the beach walking exercise trails or mountain trails. 

Level 7

Yeah, google at the moment has made a lot of features to deal with commercial shops. But we need more features to for example, if I have some kids I can search Google Maps for "fun stuff for kids" or "playgrounds" and it comes up with local playgrounds and other fun places. 

Or for example, if Im walking along parks and I'm busting to go to bathroom, I could search Google Maps for "toilet" and it would come up with the public toilet at the other end of the park. 

Or I am planning a bbq and need to know where the bbq grill is in a park along the beach.

So many such scenarios, arent that well covered yet in Google Maps.

And yes, Google should feed more such data from local street directories.

Level 9
Level 9

@MichaelP wrote:

So many such scenarios, arent that well covered yet in Google Maps.

It may be that Google does not want these features on the base map? Not everything that exists in the real world is necessarily mappable, You have a particular interest in BBQs, someone else may want to know where all the local post boxes are, or rubbish bins, or phone booths but these are not allowed. Before starting a project to add a new category of features it may be worth checking if they are permitted?

For features not allowed on the base map, a custom map can be the solution https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/

Connect Moderator

Hello,

Phillip is correct, most of the items mentioned in this thread are not generally mappable.

Even those with a corresponding category cannot be mapped unless the feature has a proper name.  Entering descriptions into the name field is not permitted.  And without a name, they will not show in searches, thus almost all approvers will not allow them.

The exception is public bathrooms in India.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

@Flash & @Pea  , I respect both of your points of view. 

Here is my observations so far: 

Toilets in India arent the only Public Toilets unnamed and need to be on the maps. I have mapped a number of public toilets in other countries, with correct category and was approved. So are barbecue areas and public parking places and playgrounds among others.

If the reviewers view it as incorrect, then they will decline the submissions. And google would not add the categories to these public services, if they didnt want us to use them to mapp public services. I have read no rules relating to public services on Google Maps or Local Guides. Mapping public services only enhances the Google Maps app's usefulness as a one stop shop for all your navigation needs. Since its public services, they can be listed publically. As long as its included as a category and you provide a valid name for the place you submit, there is no rules, as long its a valid location or service. 

I'd like to hear Google Local Guides, google staff to see what ideas they come up with as well. 

Google Maps is relied up by billions of people to find businesses and any public services, as printed local street directories, which are ancient and outdated. Google's goal is to map the world, so I think this is a step towards that.