JasperG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: I live in a national park in canada

@GreggG wrote:

Please do not try to force inappropriate items onto the map by using incorrect categories.  Google does place some trust in the users, if they end up publishing your attempt you should then set it up for deletion.

Not trying to force inappropriate items, I will stick with only categories listed/allowed. I guess maybe there should be a section that we can have a wish list of some sort for google map. My thought was to be a virtual guide on some of these trails we have here in Jasper. 

Connect Moderator

Google does provide the ability to create custom maps via various different ways to accomplish such goals.

But the base map, being the map used by all, does have to have restrictions on it.

Your idea is frequently requested, but it is impractical when you think about it.  The map as way to much information on it for it to all display at once, so what appears is dynamically changed based on who is using the map and what they are currently searching.  Pictures can currently be attached to POIs that appear, specifically they can be attached to the POIs in the establishment subset of the categories.  In that way if I search "Space Needle" then among the information presented on the side are photos that people have contributed.

But if there is no POI at the location where you want to add a photo, what should then be done?  How would the photo be hidden from view until the right search terms for that photo were entered?  Keep in mind that popular places would quickly have thousands of photos contributed, you can simply display them all if someone searches "photos".  The map would quickly become cluttered and useless if you let people add POIs with descriptive names that serve no purpose other than to attach a photo.

My main two hobbies are photography and mapping, so I do enjoy combining the two; but I don't see how adding photos to any place desired could do anything but lessen the quality of the base map.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

@JeroenM. Outstanding!  Are you bac local to the NY Tri-State Region?

Level 8

@Pea  you would think that a trailhead would have "Merit".

I understand why not. Nevertheless a trail can be picked up from another trail and ending on a third trail...

Just to get a different feedback version, How other than a gps enabled image, can we differentiate the divergence? 

Level 8

@VBenedict
I live in Tenerife (Canary Islands), however, I did travel quite a bit in North America.

@JasperG
Google Earth now allows you to build tours that could be useful for what you were trying to achieve. Each walk could be a tour.
Here is an example:
https://earth.google.com/web/?kml=https://tourbuilder.withgoogle.com/tours/ahJzfmd3ZWItdG91cmJ1aWxkZ...

Level 8

I have been posting GPS enabled photos. Remember though that phones are not as GPS accurate as an actual GPS dedicated device.

@JeroenM  @JasperG. @Flash  @Pea