JasperG's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

I live in a national park in canada

create markers on the trailheads on the map and have google accept them? I normally use a camera that has GPS function, and sometimes it is turned off. So I want to post on the map, but sometimes without the GPS, I cannot pinpoint it, does this disqualify the image submission?

Jasper, Alberta, Canada
15 comments
Level 9
Level 9

Re: I live in a national park in canada

Trailheads are not mappable features, the trails themselves are mapped

Level 8

@Pea

@PhilipF wrote:

Trailheads are not mappable features, the trails themselves are mapped

We are not talking about adding a new location on maps. I am totally with @JasperG that it is very helpful when people share photos that have GPS tag attached and are therefore placed by Google on the map where the photo was taken.

During my travels, I always check these GPS-fixed photos shared by the community, to find the best scenic viewpoints in an area. Since there is no street view for trails, taking photos along the trail, particularly at helpful areas for navigation, is by my book desirable practice. Taking a snap shot of a trailhead, preferably of the sign if it includes valuable data about the trail (difficulty, time it takes, etc.) should be encouraged. It would appear on maps and google earth with the blue camera icon and shows up in photo-streams when you search for an area.

To answer @JasperG 's question, there are solutions to add GPS data to your photos afterwards. Simply google “how to add gps tag to photos afterwards”. So in other words, you would need to prep your photos before uploading it to maps.

Cheers!

Level 9
Level 9

@JeroenM wrote:

We are not talking about adding a new location on maps.

Hey @JeroenM, I'm not so sure that's what was meant - the wording Jasper used was "create markers". In maps the term markers generally refers to pin drops which you get by creating a POI, ie adding a new location (which you can then add photos to). A snapshot of a trailhead may indeed have useful info, but without adding some kind of map listing place/location there would be nothing to associate the photo with.

Level 8

@Pea,

The way I read the question, @JasperG is used to upload photos that have GPS linked to it and sometimes he uses a camera where this function is switched off or not available and he is asking how you can "pin-point" your photo to a gps coordinate afterwards.

If you look at Google Maps in normal map view, you won't see these photos. You do see them in Google Earth, pending your filter settings. However, if you search for the area where the walk is, let's say National Park Teide, and click on photos in the google map listing on the left, many of these photos are marked to the location were the photo was taken. If you open the navigation map below, like you do in street-view, you see lots of blue points, all refering to photos taken by people that are not linked to POI on maps, but are useful to mark points along a trail. Sometimes they show up as small brown camera's. 

Here is an example of a photo of a trailhead, without it being marked on the map as such.

Cheers!

Level 8

P.S.

@Pea you are absolutely right that to find this street view with photos, I need a have a location that IS a POI or business on maps in the area.
I am not aware of another way. However, this is somthing where I believe the google magic sometimes goes wrong. Often the cover photo of a POI seems to apear randomly, using photos that were taken in the area. That is however NO garantuee the photo is actually of the subject matter of the POI or business.

I know examples where the cover photo (with GPS tag) was not even close to the POI and yet the algorythm/software selected it as cover photo...

Anyway, thanks for your many forum contributions. I am learning a lot from you 😉

Level 7

Thanks JeroenM, my goal was / is to map out trail with key photos along the trail and viewpoints. I found some mappable points like this (map marker)

and then when I try to create one (trailhead of popular trail) , I cannot, that is the issue I am trying to solve. Just around the corner about 400 meters from Athabasca falls, is a trail head for Geraldine Lakes. 

Level 7

PhilipF wrote:

@JeroenM wrote:

We are not talking about adding a new location on maps.

Hey @JeroenM, I'm not so sure that's what was meant - the wording Jasper used was "create markers". In maps the term markers generally refers to pin drops which you get by creating a POI, ie adding a new location (which you can then add photos to). A snapshot of a trailhead may indeed have useful info, but without adding some kind of map listing place/location there would be nothing to associate the photo with.

Thanks, I just tried to "adding a missing place", I set it as "hiking area" as category, did not have "trailhead" category option and did not find add photo option either. Is there something I missed? 

Level 9
Level 9

@JasperG wrote:
did not have "trailhead" category

You won't find trailhead as a category because, as I said at the top, they are not mappable. Just to be clear I am not advising you to create a map place listing just so you have something to add your photo to. Any place we add to the map must have merit in it's own right and not everything that exists in the real world is necessarily mappable

Connect Moderator

Thanks, I just tried to "adding a missing place", I set it as "hiking area" as category, did not have "trailhead" category option and did not find add photo option either. Is there something I missed? 

Please do not try to force inappropriate items onto the map by using incorrect categories.  Google does place some trust in the users, if they end up publishing your attempt you should then set it up for deletion.

As Phillip mentioned, trails are mapped as lines, not points.  Trailheads are a way for someone to find a trail; but they are unnecessary on a digital map that includes the trail.  A trailhead would be considered a duplicate of the trail itself and thus not be allowed, in the same way we wouldn't add points to denote the beginning and end of each road in existence.

@JeroenM has pointed out that you can add photospheres at any point on the map, it might be something you consider doing if you wish to make the view available; as regular photos at this time can only be attached to POIs on the map and those POIs can only be added if they meet the criteria for inclusion on the base map.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages