ArunMuralidhar's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Can't find Pharmacy as a category

Hi all

Just noticed That Maps don't give "pharmacy" as a category now while adding a new place.

B2E7AFDE-31B6-4CA1-975F-0D8C16A5B584.png

While Ayurvedic pharmacy and Vet pharmacy are present, there is none for regular pharmacy that sells English medicine (allopathy)

In India we use the terms Pharmacy and Medical store the most for stores that sell both English and traditional medicine. The category "medical supply store" sounds more like a wholesaler or bulk seller of medical goods.

Hence requesting for re introduction of category "pharmacy" for adding new medical stores

Kollam, Kerala, India
5 comments
Level 9

Re: Can't find Pharmacy as a category

It does sometimes get confusing when dealing with synonyms in categories. You should use the 'Chemist' category when you add new pharmacies to Maps. 

But I agree with you. While it makes perfect sense to have a 'Chemist' category, it does seem a bit inconsistent that there is no category called 'General Pharmacy'/'Pharmacy' when there are categories like Homeopathic pharmacies and Ayurvedic pharmacies!

Level 10

@YK1001 , @ErmesT, referring to the post above, need some advice or suggestion on this. The category "Pharmacy" comes and goes, and currently there is not category to tag a location as a Pharmacy, although there are existing locations with the Pharmacy category. Any suggestions? But there are other sub-categories of Pharmacy which is not applicable for what I want. If this is actually missing, can we add back this category to Google Maps?

The suggestion from @ashwath doesn't work for my country. People here won't search for a chemist when they want to find a pharmacy because we don't use that term chemist in my country.  (May work for other countries though, not sure).

Connect Moderator

As @ashwath has stated, please use Chemist if it is available.  Pharmacy, Drugstore and Chemist are equivalent; a search for one will bring up both.

If you wish you can use the "Other feedback" or "App feedback option (depending if you are on desktop or mobile) within Send feedback to let Google know the local list is using Chemist instead of Pharmacy.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Yes, Pharmacy is really interesting.

That is a fast changing Category.  And varies a lot region by region.  Language by Language.

Let's wait for our Mapping Experts to give us some hints.

Connect Moderator

I will be merging this with an existing topic as it has previously been asked and answered.  Please do ensure to search the forums before posting as the answers to many questions can be found to be already posted.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages