bstreiss's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

How to submit a mailing address that is different than the physical address

I've come across this with several local gardens in the area.  The physical address of the garden is different than the mailing address.  While I know Maps is mostly about getting people to the physical location, it would be nice to get a piece of snail mail to the correct physical location as well. 🙂

I see no easy way to add just a mailing address.  In once case, I own the business listing so I can edit from that end as well.  I'm afraid if I add a second listing, it will become confusing as the mailing address is several miles from the physical address.

Any advice?

6 comments
Level 7

Re: How to submit a mailing address that is different than the physical address

Does the website that is listed in the garden's details page list a mailing address for the group that maintains the garden?

Level 4

@sputnikjim Not currently, but I can easily add one as I do the website. In general is that the way it should be done for others as well?

Level 10

For Google Maps, Google is only concerned about physical presence. Where they receive mail is irrelevant. Therefore, the mailing address should not be included, or added as a separate place.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
Level 4

@MWJones I understand your point, so maybe my question is more about the Mybusiness end of things (I tend to get confused with all the interconnected layers).

Being unable to enter a valid mailing address into a business profile seems like a major oversight. In my mind it's like saying only a land line connecting to the physical address will be accepted. 

I guess I'll never be able to trust Google for a mailing address again. 😞

Level 10

@bstreiss for the purposes of the public facing maps, it is always the physical address of the point of interest.

On the other hand, if a business is registered (claimed) with Google My Business (GMB), there might be a way of putting a separate "contact" address for GMB to contact the business via (say a postal box), but that address is never shown to the public on Maps. I am not an expert on GMB, so I can't say for certain if there is a separate contact address or not, but someone more experienced with GMB might be able to answer in that regards.

M. W. Jones -- Former Map Maker Regional Lead, United States
Level 8

Michael is right that Google Maps is all about getting people to places so I would never rely on it as a source for mailing addresses. I would suggest you clearly outline on the website's location page that you have a different mailing address and street address and that should clear up any confusion.