Rodrigo_P's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Googler

How to make great edits on Google Maps

The world moves fast, and sometimes you may find information on Google Maps that’s outdated or simply incorrect. Below are some tips for making high-quality edits. Keep them in mind, and you’ll help everyone find what they’re looking for on Maps.

Screenshot_20180320-112050.png Screenshot_20180320-112112 (1).png.Screenshot_20180320-112145.png

How to suggest an edit on Google Maps:

• Find the place you want to edit
  • Select Suggest an edit
  • Make your edit, or multiple edits, and select Submit (if you’re on Google Maps for desktop) or Send (on mobile devices)

What makes a good edit on Google Maps?

• Business name: Use the official name of a place, the one used on the storefront or website. Don’t add additional text in the name field such as special characters, legal terms (like LLC or Inc.), or unnecessary spaces. Capitalize the business’s name the same way the business displays it,
  • Address: Use the official address. If one is not available, use an address that accurately describes the place location. If Maps suggests an address that’s incomplete, add additional details. Suite numbers, floors, and building numbers can be included as well. Do not include information that doesn’t pertain to business’s physical location (like URLs, phone numbers, or keywords).
  • Business hours: Add the hours of operation of the specific business. If a business operates only by appointment or if their hours of operation hours vary, there’s no need to provide hours. (A few examples of businesses that don’t need hours: hotels, airports, schools and universities, and movie theaters.)
  • Phone number: Use the place’s primary phone number. To make sure it’s accurate, check if it’s listed on the business’s website or signage. The phone number must be under the direct control of the business and should be a local phone number instead of a call center line whenever possible.
  • Website: Use the business’s official website. Don’t include links to social networking sites, review aggregators, or other websites. The website link shouldn’t be broken or redirect to malicious sites.
  • Marker: When you move a marker, make sure you zoom in far enough and switch to satellite view. This will help you see buildings and move the marker accurately. Place the marker at the exact location of the place.
  • Categories: Choose specific categories that are representative of the main business type. Do not use categories solely as keywords or to describe attributes of the business. Categories help others find accurate information.
  • Attributes: If you are a business owner, include attributes that accurately describe your business, such as dining options, amenities, or products that are offered. Do not include attributes that are irrelevant to your business.

If you are a business owner, claim your business on Google Maps and use Google My Business to manage your listing’s information for free.

Related Resources

43 comments
Level 8

Re: How to make great edits on Google Maps

Hi @Rodrigo_P,

As in Maps, the address field is a sinhle free text field, what is the correct way to enter additional addresses in Line 2?  Are we supposed to use Enter to enter Line 2?  

Is this a correct entry:

46 Main Street, Shaukiwan, Hong Kong

Flat D, 33th Floor, Tower 2

Level 10

Hi @Rodrigo_P what about the current best practice for marker: center of the building where the business belongs or the entrance of the business? This is mainly related to malls.

Level 10

Hello @Rodrigo_P

Thank you for sharing many important tips.

I use this method and another method.

11.jpg

222.jpg

Is it ok to edit this method?

Follow me here.....
Level 7

@YK1001

Over here in New Zealand it would be as an example

Shop 2 , 4 Gordonton Road

Chartwell 3210

Hamilton

New Zealand.

So for your post it could be

Flat D, 33rd Floor, Tower 2, 46 Main Street

Shaukiwan Hong Kong

@LucioV

For myself personally, if the place is big enough I place the marker in the center of the place or area.

Googler

@YK1001 wrote:

Hi @Rodrigo_P,

As in Maps, the address field is a sinhle free text field, what is the correct way to enter additional addresses in Line 2?  Are we supposed to use Enter to enter Line 2?  

Is this a correct entry:

46 Main Street, Shaukiwan, Hong Kong

Flat D, 33th Floor, Tower 2

Hi @YK1001

Please disregard the comment about addresses in Line 2 , that was directed to business owners on Google My Business . The right format for your entry would be :  Flat D, 33/F ,Tower 2, 46 Main Street, Shaukiwan, Hong Kong

Thank you

Connect Moderator

Thanks for sharing @Rodrigo_P

About me | Guiding Star 2020 | Guiding Star 2020 |  | Follow me on Instagram & Follow me on Maps |   | Happy to Help

Please use '@' before the name to tag me.

Level 9

Level 9

@Rodrigo_P

Thanks for the post you made 

I think categories should be changed or updated, because there are too many categories absent in categories list. I think there should be a other option to enter new category name. 

As in Bangladesh there is no Gas Station and those are known as filling station. 

Medicine Shop is known known as Pharmacy. 

Level 8
Level 8

@Rodrigo_P wrote:

The world moves fast, and sometimes you may find information on Google Maps that’s outdated or simply incorrect. Below are some tips for making high-quality edits. Keep them in mind, and you’ll help everyone find what they’re looking for on Maps.

Suggest an edit on Google Maps flowSuggest an edit on Google Maps flow

How to suggest an edit on Google Maps:

• Find the place you want to edit
  • Select Suggest an edit
  • Make your edit, or multiple edits, and select Submit (if you’re on Google Maps for desktop) or Send (on mobile devices)

What makes a good edit on Google Maps?

• Business name: Use the official name of a place, the one used on the storefront or website. Don’t add additional text in the name field such as special characters, legal terms (like LLC or Inc.), or unnecessary spaces. Capitalize the business’s name the same way the business displays it.
  • Address: Use the official address. If one is not available, use an address that accurately describes the place location. If Maps suggests an address that’s incomplete, add additional details. Suite numbers, floors, and building numbers can be included as well. Do not include information that doesn’t pertain to business’s physical location (like URLs, phone numbers, or keywords).
  • Business hours: Enter the hours that the place is open each day of the week. If a business operates only by appointment or if it has hours that vary, there’s no need to provide hours. (A few examples of businesses that don’t need hours: hotels, airports, schools and universities, and movie theaters.)
  • Phone number: Use the place’s primary phone number. To make sure it’s accurate, check if it’s listed on the business’s website or signage. The phone number must be under the direct control of the business and should be a local phone number instead of a call center line whenever possible.
  • Website: Use the business’s official website. Don’t include links to social networking sites, review aggregators, or other websites. The website link shouldn’t be broken or redirect to malicious sites.
  • Marker: When you move a marker, make sure you zoom in far enough and switch to satellite view. This will help you see buildings and move the marker accurately. Place the marker at the exact location of the place.
  • Categories: Choose categories that are specific and representative of the main business. Do not use categories solely as keywords or to describe attributes of the business. Categories help others find accurate information.
  • Attributes: If you are a business owner, include attributes that accurately describe your business, such as dining options, amenities, or products that are offered. Do not include attributes that are irrelevant to your business.

If you are a business owner, claim your business on Google Maps and use Google My Business to manage your listing’s information for free.

Related Resources

Thanks for the great tips!

Will make sure to use them when Google maps fixes the algorithm then we can actually start adding new places again. Untill then....good luck.