neavilag's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

How to become a Map Maker Regional Lead in my country?

I see a lot of fellow Lvl 5 Local Guides to be also Map Maker Regional Leads in their country, I have filled for the last 8+ months to be a MM Regional Lead for Guatemala but no luck so far. Google Maps map has several issues in Guatemala that could be solved but cannot update because MM is not open to Guatemala. While MM was open aprox. 2 years ago I contributed to the map. 

Anyone around here could point me where I can apply to be considerer as a MM Regional Lead and start fixing map errors not only Places via LocalGuides ?

thanks

Guatemala City, Guatemala
36 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 8
Solution

Re: How to become a Map Maker Regional Lead in my country?

Hi @neavilag,

This discussion at Mapmaker product support forum have answers to your question.  Let me summaries some points here:

1.  Google do not pre-announce which country will be open for Mapmaker.  Check of Announcement section of the Mapmaker forum.

2.  Google will select a team of Regional Leads following their Internal process.  The "application" to become RL is closed.

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Hey Norman, it doesn't seem Guatemala is included in the list of countries that have Map Maker. If my understanding is correct, there are no Regional Lead for countries that have no Map Maker.

About Map Maker - Countries being mapped

Level 10

@neavilag

Please read the accepted by Googler @GusMoreira solution of @Keith A  in this thread:

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Australian-Regional-Lead/m-p/4419#U4419

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL
Level 9

Thanks @JacekNK and @iyudhi for the information.  

What is said is that there must be a regional lead to be able to open MM in Guatemala.  What I want is to be a regional lead. Had filled the form like 10 times for the last 10 months.  So I was asking for another way of what was the criteria to be accepted and open MM in Guatemala.  

Regards 

Level 8
Solution

Hi @neavilag,

This discussion at Mapmaker product support forum have answers to your question.  Let me summaries some points here:

1.  Google do not pre-announce which country will be open for Mapmaker.  Check of Announcement section of the Mapmaker forum.

2.  Google will select a team of Regional Leads following their Internal process.  The "application" to become RL is closed.

Connect Moderator

@neavilag Where did you hear that there must be a Regional Lead first before MapMaker can exist? I always thought it's the other way around.

I think the biggest reason MapMaker is not available in a country is because the progam hasn't been approved by local regulators. In that case, there's nothing much we can do as users.

Also regarding Regional Lead application, in the case where it's available, from what I read from one of the posts in the past is that they're currently not taking new submissions. They will announce it when they re-open the application.

Level 8

Hello !

I have the same question, I have applied for Map Maker Regional Lead from Nepal (Mid-Western Region) but still no response. Can anyone tell me what should I do before applying for Regional Lead?

Thanks !

Niraj

Level 8

Hi @NirajBhusal,

According to Mapmaker forum, what you should do is keep making high quality edits to Maps.

When more RL are needed, Google screen individuals following their internal process, and check with selected individuals if they want to become RL or not.

Level 10

@iyudhi what about Lebanon?

@IvanY wrote:

Hey Norman, it doesn't seem Guatemala is included in the list of countries that have Map Maker. If my understanding is correct, there are no Regional Lead for countries that have no Map Maker.

About Map Maker - Countries being mapped

Connect Moderator

Per the article I referenced above, there's no MapMaker program (therefore no Regional Lead) for Lebanon:

Bangladesh
Belarus
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Brazil
Cambodia
Canada
Costa Rica
Croatia
Czech Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Denmark
Egypt