neavilag's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Re: How to become a Map Maker Regional Lead in my country?

Right Ivan, that is why I want to apply as regional lead, is said mapmaker is not available since there is no Regional Lead... 😕

thank you for your response.

Level 10

@neavilag

There is no such dependency that first must be Regional Lead for the country and after that Google will open Map Maker for that country.

First Map Maker must be openned for specific country and after that Google will wait for editions of users and after that Regional Leads will be chosen between these users.

Regards,

Jacek

Google Diamond Product Expert - Maps, Business Profile, Earth, Gmail, Accounts | Street View Trusted Photographer | Local Guide | retired: Map Maker Help Forum Top Contributor & Poland RER/RL
Level 8

Hi @neavilag,

We should see the two different term "Mapmaker" program and the "Regional Lead" role as one.

If there is Regional Lead, it means Mapmaker is opened for editing in that Region.  And if Mapmaker is opened, there is Regional Lead.

Google will trained people to be Regional Lead while it plans to open Mapmaker for that region.  Thus lack of suitable people as Regional Lead should be a minor consideration of not opening Mapmaker for a region.

Level 10

@iyudhi I hope they will create one soon as we have many active members. And we are contributing always to the lg community.

Connect Moderator

@MichelChammas I'm sure it's Google's intention to open MapMaker program to as many countries as possible. But to my understanding they can't open it because of things that they can't control, like local laws or something like that. Just from my observation of course, so don't quote me on that.

Level 10

@iyudhi 

No problem for the MapMaker but we hope more dedication from google to Lebanon regarding google local guides community... We are looking forward to participate in google local guide events

Level 9

Right, @YK1001, is like the egg and the chicken, I would like to have the training so there is local people to be able to open MapMaker in Guatemala.  As a matter or fact, MapMaker was open long ago, and my first contributions to Places was via that.

Regards

Level 8

Hi @neavilag,

Yes, it is a pity that Google need to stop Mapmaker worldwide due to SPAM, and only manage to restart slowly since Aug, 2015.  Still, Mapmaker editing is not resumed for lots of regions.

Considered that Google need to support a role of Google Reviewer to approve certain kinds of edits, if Google really want to open Mapmaker, they can ask Google Reviewers to cover the Regional Lead function as well.

When more volunteers became RL, Google can assign internal resources  elsewhere.

Level 8

The best contributions to the maps in your country to become Regions Leads. May be some time the time is long to become RL of GMM. Good lucky!

@NormanA wrote:

I see a lot of fellow Lvl 5 Local Guides to be also Map Maker Regional Leads in their country, I have filled for the last 8+ months to be a MM Regional Lead for Guatemala but no luck so far. Google Maps map has several issues in Guatemala that could be solved but cannot update because MM is not open to Guatemala. While MM was open aprox. 2 years ago I contributed to the map. 

Anyone around here could point me where I can apply to be considerer as a MM Regional Lead and start fixing map errors not only Places via LocalGuides ?

thanks

Level 8

The best contributions to the maps in your country to become Regions Leads. May be some time the time is long to become RL of GMM. Good lucky!