YaserA's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

How to add Statue

in my area have 3 more old statue is there. how can i add these place in google map, or i select category as museum

24 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: How to add Statue

@YaserA hi 

Welcome to local guides connect or thanks for post..

u can easily add these place on maps By using Add a missing place option on Maps.

Open your maps ..

then select  places to add on maps then go to option menu ..

Select Add a missing place 

then follow my tips ... 

ADD PLACE.jpg

Then 

ADD A PLACE (1).JPG

For more help read help line 

u can add also museum category 

01.jpg

Connect Moderator

Hi @YaserA you should probably add them as "Sculpture" rather than "Museum". Try to find out contact information about the statue, often the local government website will have something you can link too.

Regards

Paul

Level 9
Level 9

@MD ShafiulB wrote:

u can add also museum category 

Sorry, but that's a really bad idea. A statue is clearly not a museum and we should be careful with the advice we give.

If it's a statue then write Statue in the category field. If you can't do that then try using MapMaker

@PaulPavlinovich I think sculpture is a slightly different thing but I'm happy to be corrected as the whole statue, sculpture, monument delineation in maps is unclear

Level 7

In a bid to kick start the Year of the Rooster I embarked on a quest to find the ultimate chicken in town and thought it funny to add "The Great Ayam Statue" at Sutera Mall, Johor, Malaysia as a fun place. Of course, once they change the entrance sculptureI can remove the Place accordingly. 

For this "statue" I decided to put it as a "Shopping Mall" because well, it's put up by the shopping mall for the Chinese New Year festivities. Once I read this thread I edited it to the more appropriate "sculpture" category.

A Lost Sheep in Delhi
https://lostsheepdelhi.wordpress.com
Connect Moderator

Yeah I agree @Pea I have put statues in as sculptures. Some get accepted, some do not. It's one I've not been able to figure out the "rules" and I've never seen any decent guidance from a Googler. 

If the statue is significant and draws tourists then it could also be a "Tourist Attraction".

Level 6

Sometimes people put things into Google Maps that they think is a good idea but they are not official. I have deleted some of them, like "April Gonzalez's House", "Gran's House Bob!!!" and "02/21/14 - Pacific Banc Mtg". None of them had phone numbers or anything that verifies they are valid. Some things should not get into Google Maps. So I think it is critical that there be something that can be used to determine that the place is valid and should be in Google Maps. Find an official web site if possible. Provide a valid phone number if possible. Have pictures ready to be uploaded as soon as it gets into Google Maps.

For a statue, there is nearly always a park or something that it is in. I assume that in most situations, the park or whatever it is in is what should be in Google Maps. There is very, very much in parks and things like that that are of interest to people that Google Maps does not have a way to identify. I wish people would do more to fix that problem.

I think we should have a way to upload pictures before something gets approved, at least for validation purposes.

Connect Moderator

@SamuelCalifornia generally speaking a major statue or art work will have its own web page on the local government website or historical society website. In either case you can use the phone contact of the group hosting the information.

Some things are fairly obvious that they should not be on maps I agree and the examples you gave I would likley report as never existed, but take care removing things as people do add places where they have incomplete information. Some information is better than no information.

Regards

Paul

Level 6

Often, in order to be totally accurate, we must write a long description. And then people don't read all of it and misunderstand. So sometimes what we do write is a balance of what to say. Sometimes we must compromise. It is so frustrating that inevitably someone will respond with exceptions.

Yet in this case I said "it is critical that there be something that can be used to determine that the place is valid and should be in Google Maps". I used the word "critical" because that is an important point. Elsewhere I said "nearly always a park" but I did not say "always a park". I also said "most situations", not "always".

I think that Google intends these discussions to be for reference by others too. Do you really want people to fill Google Maps with everything and anything they think should be in there? I hope not.

I don't know what the situation is with the specific statue that the question asks about. I do think however that it is important to suggest that alternatives be considered.

As for leaving partial information, Google needs to provide guidance and assistance in deciding what is valid. In the specific cases I provided, I indicated that there is no additional information; I explicitly said that there is no phone number. The only way to validate the locations is to go there in person. I think one of them was in a gated community. If there was a reasonable way to validate the information then I would try. I don't know how to determine who entered and/or approved the entries. It is easy to say "don't do it" but people don't provide reasonable instructions for what to do instead.

The "Manson caves" is/are a place of worship by Charles Manson and his followers and the only people that would call it a place of worship are Charles Manson followers yet it exists in Google Maps as a place of worship and it is frustrating for me that no one cares. First, "Manson Caves" is not an official name. Second, it is known to be a hangout by mass murderers.

Connect Moderator

@SamuelCalifornia good points, in answer to your question I want Google Maps filled with anything publicly oriented that someone needs to find, whatever that may be. Obviously I don't want "My friend's house" or "Put bins here" (both of which I've seen) because they're not publicly oriented. But I do want things like prominent sculptures/statues/art pieces - not because I'm a sculpture fanboi but because they are awesome meeting landmarks that people use. Meet me near the Floral Clock - plenty of people in Melbourne would know exactly where that is, but not everyone. Significant cultural items such as Memorials (which could be a simple pile of rocks with a plaque) should be on the map because someone will want to find them. There isn't a hard and fast rule because everyone sees what should be on the map differently. The users of Map Maker were trained, constrained, compartmentalised to the point that Maps became sterile. Boring. Without personality. Local Guides on the other hand can add anything they want. Peer review (and hence peer pressure) will ensure that only things that are reasonable to a group of people will pop up and remain on maps thus there is a natural balance between the addoholic points nut and the reasonable person. Good natured but not exactly agreeing discussions like this one help guide everyone around us - some will think they way you do, some will think the way I do, some will be the middle and some will think we're both nuts. The Googlers themselves provide the ultimate review capabilities tempering the anarchy.

Interestingly this leads to map wars, I think I've lost count of the number I've times I've edited a particular public toilet that I added it and had someone else mark it closed with me marking it open and they closed and me open and they closed. Someone really hates that toilet.

Given the filtering by zoom level and easy search, even in the busiest Indian and European cities the maps product with many thousands of places in small areas never feels crowded. The UI is designed to give the UX the person needs at that time in the context of what they need while doing what they're doing (yes I know, Google systems are kinda creepy), but you have to admit, the system does to some level of accuracy know what you are doing at any given moment.

Regards

Paul