michaelDu's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 4

How long until my map edit gets approved

A couple weeks ago I requested an edit to add a new street to Google Maps through the apps for Noba Road Dublin, CA, but it still appears as pending review. Is there a way to speed up the process? I would really appreciate any pointers.

Dublin, CA, USA
6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: How long until my map edit gets approved

Hi @michaelDu,

There is no ability to ask where something is in the queue; as if there was then team would spend most of their time responding to such requests instead of actually processing them.

The queue is largely FIFO, but once it reaches the top of the queue then things like confirming the edit, fixing any database errors preventing the edit, etc. come into play.

Generally road edits are completed within a month.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Hello @michaelDu,

Send feedback creates both direct edits (such as correcting the name of a park) and requests for Googlers to make edits in backend tools (such as road edit requests).  In both cases they enter a queue when made and are handled in order of that queue.  Everyone's edits are considered important and thus there is no process to skip edits ahead of other edits.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 3

Anywhere from ‘few minutes to 24 hours’

Level 4

Thanks @Flash, it would be great to know how long it will take to add this road to google maps as we are having so many issues with carriers getting to our address. If it is a FIFO queue, it would be great to get feedback on the progress of approval with the current position in the queue. I appreciate the fast response

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hi @michaelDu,

There is no ability to ask where something is in the queue; as if there was then team would spend most of their time responding to such requests instead of actually processing them.

The queue is largely FIFO, but once it reaches the top of the queue then things like confirming the edit, fixing any database errors preventing the edit, etc. come into play.

Generally road edits are completed within a month.

Level 7

Hello @michaelDu

Although the status of "pending" edits appears to be hard to determine in terms of timescales I have noticed a pattern in terms of the way the system appears to operate

At the moment I am updating the website addresses for a lot of the shops in our local area and I have noticed that if I submit the details during the course of a normal working day the changes are implemented almost immediately.

If I post similar changes later in the evening they tend to be marked as "pending" instead and then added to the queue.

I am assuming that the ones with the website links that are posted during the day can be easily verified by a human since all it would take would be to click on the link and then to check the details by eye.

If you try to submit some of your edits during business hours you might discover a similar pattern ... unless of course this is all just coincidence.

Good Luck !

■ "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?" ■ "Who watches the watchers ?" ■ the satirical poet, Juvenal ■ 1st century Rome ■
Connect Moderator

It is just a coincidence.

Your edits being immediately reviewed are being reviewed by algorithms.  Human review takes a lot longer.  Human review occurs when the algorithms can't make a decision.  If the algorithms are right on the fence; they have a enough detail to feel you aren't spamming but think there might be an issue with your edit, they may ask for LG input through Check The Facts, but that also is going to take time.

For roads, which is what this thread is about, we don't actually have the ability to make edits in Maps.  All road edits are made in an internal tool; your feedback about roads in Maps are requests to Googlers to go into the internal tool and make the edit there.