Anonymous's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

How is an add rejected if I'm standing in front of the place looking at it?

I'm sure it's an algorithm saying it doesn't exist, but is there a way to resubmit or appeal a rejected addition? The place in question has been there for at least a couple of years, it's in a mall, and it's just there.

I'm not really concerned with one rejection, it's more of a curiosity of how this place will get on the map because I've never ran into this issue before.

20 comments
Level 10

Re: How is an add rejected if I'm standing in front of the place looking at it?

Hi @Anonymous If the store is in a mall, perhaps it is a franchise? In that case, the head office often have reserved the right to add / edit the location. If you add it, then it will be NOT APPROVED. That's one of the likely reasons I can think of. Another possibility is the store has already took it out on Google My Business already, so maybe in it is in the process of verification or just the owner hasn't got around setting it up yet.

Nothing we as Local Guides can do much. Google has to make money some how.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@WetCoastCanuck that's a good possibility. It's an insurance place. By looking at it, it seems that it is a locally owned low budget place under an "umbrella" company, for lack of a better term. I can't think of the term but it's where there really isn't a company by that name, it's only licensing the brand. I think Panasonic used to be that way?

Level 8

Hi @WetCoastCanuck,

@WetCoastCanuck wrote:

Hi @Anonymous If the store is in a mall, perhaps it is a franchise? In that case, the head office often have reserved the right to add / edit the location. If you add it, then it will be NOT APPROVED. That's one of the likely reasons I can think of. Another possibility is the store has already took it out on Google My Business already, so maybe in it is in the process of verification or just the owner hasn't got around setting it up yet.

Nothing we as Local Guides can do much. Google has to make money some how.

Even for Malls having Inside Maps published, LG can still add missing / new business.  Just that it will not become part of the Inside Maps - thus not be pinned to a specific level of the Mall.

Example:  This POI inside that Mall

Even for a franchise, if they do not added a new shop at a new location, will Google prevent the new place added by LGs?  This is the first time I heard about this.

Connect Moderator

This is actually pretty common @Anonymous I've had it happen too and the Googlers won't give reasons why beyond the general information in Googler Gus  post .

I don't even try to add things inside malls anymore. 

Regards Paul

Level 10

Hi @YK1001 No I am not talking specific coordinates in a mall, but a shop that is part of a chain e.g. Starbucks can have control over their listings on Google Maps via GMB.

Level 10

Hi @Anonymous One way to check easily is go find the other umbrella insurance stores' Google listings (e.g. below). If they don't have the "Claim This Business" option.. then their Listings have already been taken.

Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 8.13.40 PM.png

Level 8

Hi @WetCoastCanuck,

Yes.  Let's discuss about this example.

1.  KFC is going to open a new store at Address1.  It is still under renovation and with a open soon notice posted (within 2 weeks time)

2.  As checked in Maps, there is no KFC at Address1.  As Opening is withtin 14 days, it can be added.  So I go ahead to add this KFC shop.

Now the questions is:  Will Google holding the approval of this new Place added by me?  

Level 10

Hi @YK1001 Honestly it is the secret sauce that Google doesn't tell anyone. I am just a lowly volunteer, it is way beyond my pay grade. I do understand GMB for chains have a spreadsheet functions where the chain headquarters can update their list just by uploading a spreadsheet.

However I would expect Google will do a NOT APPROVED, I expect that's the reason why most of the duplicates happen as overzealous LGs add the locations by modifying points / spellings etc. In my experience if you make changes to store that are already under GMB, it seems the store would review your changes.

Level 8

If the POI already published and claimed, certain then further edits will go under owner's review.

But we are talking about new place added, which happens to belong to a Chian that is having a GMB account. 

I am not having good approval rate for adding new places in HK yet.   I definitely will try it out when having a chance.