Jasonofthefifth's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

How do I map a trail

Hello I see a lot of information all coming from different dates and sources. Since not maker has left how do we add a hiking trail? The local Trail has extended and I wish to add the extension I also wish to add the new Trailhead and parking lot for this new access I don't know how to do this with the current October 2017 version of my house can someone point me in the right direction thank you.

4 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: How do I map a trail

Hi Jason,

The questions you are asking have been asked in the past, a search of the forums would have found them.  Normally we would merge your post into an already existing thread, but since you asked multiple I'll link to them.  Please do search the forum for future questions; we're glad to help if you can't find your answers but in most cases the information already exists.

Trails are simply roads with vehicular restrictions.  You can add one by using the method to add roads, and then in the Add A Note field you can state "Walking trail only" or "Walking and biking trail only" so that the person adding the line can add the correct restrictions.  You can read more here.

Trailheads are not mappable features, you can read more here.  Instead we map the trails.

Point features can only be added to the map if they have a proper name.  Descriptors cannot be used, so XYZ Trail Parking would not be acceptable.  For this reason most parking lots cannot be added as point features.  You can read more here.  As mentioned in that thread, if polygon editing returns to Maps then you can add them, though they just provide a visual reference.  If they do return, note that we only use the parking polygon when parking isn't obvious (which might be appropriate in this case).  If the parking has it's own internal roads those can be mapped; in your request you should note that they are unnamed and that they are ETA roads (stands for Enclosed Traffic Area, it's an attribute that the Googler will need to add to the road so it displays and acts as a parking lot road).  Parking along the edge of a normal road is not mapped in any form.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 10

Hi @Jasonofthefifth there is no way to add an hiking trail for LGs, you should send a general feedback inside app.

Another suggestion is to create a virtual tour of connected pano, and in some time, if close one to each other, there is good chance that will be connected and you will find a blue path on SV maps, like here: https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/General-Discussion/Another-day-in-a-Local-Guide-Life-Mapping-C...

Level 8

Thank you 

It looks like I have some reading ahead of me and I'm looking forward to.  Thank you for the reply hopefully one day we'll get this option however I appreciate your reply so I know I'm getting the most current info.

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hi Jason,

The questions you are asking have been asked in the past, a search of the forums would have found them.  Normally we would merge your post into an already existing thread, but since you asked multiple I'll link to them.  Please do search the forum for future questions; we're glad to help if you can't find your answers but in most cases the information already exists.

Trails are simply roads with vehicular restrictions.  You can add one by using the method to add roads, and then in the Add A Note field you can state "Walking trail only" or "Walking and biking trail only" so that the person adding the line can add the correct restrictions.  You can read more here.

Trailheads are not mappable features, you can read more here.  Instead we map the trails.

Point features can only be added to the map if they have a proper name.  Descriptors cannot be used, so XYZ Trail Parking would not be acceptable.  For this reason most parking lots cannot be added as point features.  You can read more here.  As mentioned in that thread, if polygon editing returns to Maps then you can add them, though they just provide a visual reference.  If they do return, note that we only use the parking polygon when parking isn't obvious (which might be appropriate in this case).  If the parking has it's own internal roads those can be mapped; in your request you should note that they are unnamed and that they are ETA roads (stands for Enclosed Traffic Area, it's an attribute that the Googler will need to add to the road so it displays and acts as a parking lot road).  Parking along the edge of a normal road is not mapped in any form.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 9

@Flash

Vous dites être beaucoup sollicité et avoir beaucoup de volume de travail.

Et nous, vous croyez qu'on a pas de vie professionnelle, de famille et un milliard de tâches à faire ?

Vous êtes marrant dans votre genre.

Nous sommes de simples bénévoles qui contribuont autant que vous à Maps, si ce n'est plus.

Et puisque vous faites la remarque au guide local auquel vous répondez, qu'en est-il de ma requête sur laquelle il n'y aucune information ni aucun message traité ?

Je vous ai envoyé un message privé (désolé de saturer votre boite e-mail) concernant plusieurs posts non publiés.

Requête également publié sur Connect.

Et j'attends toujours une réponse depuis des jours et des jours.

Mais ça n'a pas l'air d'exciter les chargés de modérations.

Je n'attends plus de réponses car je m'en fiche finalement.

Juste pour vous dire que sur Connect, à part les "oh super, c'est cool, tiens un kudos", l'esprit communautaire (modérateurs/guides locaux) ce n'est que du vent.

Vous meublez beaucoup, mais n'êtes pas efficaces.

@+ 

My MapsIWe're the World, We're the Local Guides!