bjherbison's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

How do I get details of a NOT APPLIED edit?

On vacation this summer I enjoyed a restaurant so I tried to create a page for it on Google Maps. The restaurant exists--I ate there and it has Yelp and Facebook pages.

But the entry from July is NOT APPLIED. I want to try again to get this restaurant the attention it deserves, but I'm 300 miles away and don't have the details any more. How do I get the details out of the previous entry to make another attempt to create an entry. (I do have one thing I didn't have before--I took a picture after I created the entry so I can put that in my new attempt.)

I'd add a location to the discussion, but Google doesn't know about it.

http://www.bing.com/search?q=the+broken+yoke+jeffersonville+vt&qs=SC&pq=the+broken+yokr&sk=SC1&sc=8-...

6 comments
Level 10

Re: How do I get details of a NOT APPLIED edit?

You can check the status of your Edit by visiting Google Maps->My Contributions->Edits.

I suggest to give exact location (Use Satellite view for accuracy), full address, timings, and a photo of POI

Level 7

Yes, I know how to get to the edits page. That's how I know the edit was NOT APPLIED.

And I did include all that information the first time.

But now I want to try to create the place again and I don't have access to that information because Google won't show me the information I entered before.

As I asked, how do I get details of a NOT APPLIED edit?

Connect Moderator

Hello,

Unfortunately there is no way to obtain all the details of your previous attempt.

What I do notice is that if I search for Broken Yoke on the map then I am directed to the Smugglers Notch Inn, which is at the same location and some might consider it a "container" store.  This can be caused by one of two methods:

• Smugglers Notch Inn and Broken Yoke have been set up as one business, with the Broken Yoke being a secondary name for the place, or
  • Google's search engine has realized the connection between the two

It is more likely the first.  If it is the first option then it might have been purposely set up that way or there might have been two features that were merged.  Since they already share an address, if there were two features with the same phone number then a merge might have been triggered.  When Map Maker was available we could see the extra names a feature has along with signs of a merge, but with what we have available we can't specify what is happening and thus can't be specific as to what is the fix.  I suspect the that of the two possibilities the first is what has occurred, as that then would have triggered a rejection of your edits as it would be considered a duplicate.

Should you find that the two do share a phone number then they are set up correctly.  Unfortunately we cannot use any other sources such as another map, Facebook, etc.; other than we can use their own website if they exist.  Otherwise the only other way to collect the data is visiting personally as you did.  Should you, via an acceptable source, find the phone numbers are the same then it is correct to have them as one POI.  Should acceptable sources show them to have different numbers then you likely need to do is submit "Other feedback/App feedback" to explain that they are operated as two businesses and ask that they be separated, along with the details of each and your source for the info.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

Hi @Flash

Googling the two places, it is my impression that that one is the hotel part and the other is the restaurant part. So if the OP used the right category and the other place is known as a hotel, should the system no automatically (folllowing Google rules) accept a new place for a restaurant inside the same business (same telephone number)?

I am in Europe, but it just so happen's that a  US friend from Vermont is sitting next to me. She knows the area, she knows the inn but was not aware of the different name for the restaurant.

Connect Moderator

Googling the two places, it is my impression that that one is the hotel part and the other is the restaurant part. So if the OP used the right category and the other place is known as a hotel, should the system no automatically (folllowing Google rules) accept a new place for a restaurant inside the same business (same telephone number)?  

If the restaurant and hotel share one phone number then they are considered one business.

A business can have multiple products and services that it sells, for example I can get a ready to eat chicken dinner, bullets and underwear at my local Walmart.  Having multiple products and services does not allow a place to have multiple POIs on the map, those would be considered duplicates.  Multiple POIs in one location are allowed, but their needs to be a degree of separation between them beyond separate products and services.  That usually means separate staff, separate cash registers, separate space, perhaps separate hours, etc.  Invariably a separate business will have a separate phone number, and thus that is one of the major requirements Google has to make a separate POI (this does not mean, though, that someone can simply get extra POIs for their business by buying extra phone numbers).  Using my Walmart example, the McDonalds, Tim Hortons, walk-in medical clinic and insurance office at the front of the store each have their own POIs with phone numbers separate from Walmart, but also the Walmart Pharmacy can have it's own POI as it has that extra degree of separation over and above the other departments.  If the pharmacy doesn't have it's own phone number, however, it can't have it's own POI.

Back to the hotel and restaurant, it is possible to have a business that offers both; in which case it gets one POI with both categories (though currently we can only edit the primary category, there are multiple categories per POI).  To separate it out into two POIs requires things such as their own names and separate staff, and most importantly it needs it's own phone number.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

I am in Europe, but it just so happen's that a  US friend from Vermont is sitting next to me. She knows the area, she knows the inn but was not aware of the different name for the restaurant.

Food at the Smugglers Notch Inn has a complicated history. The main dining room used to be a nice restaurant, and the Lion's Den Pub had a different owner at a different location. At some point the Lion's Den Pub moved into the basement of the Smugglers Notch Inn (on the north side, along route 108). After this the main restaurant closed, and after being unused for a few years the main dining room is now used to serve food from the pub below.

Separately there is a breakfast/lunch place on the south end of the building, along Upper Pleasant Valley Road. There was a nice place for a few years, which closed two or three years ago. Now a new breakfast/lunch business (The Broken Yoke) opened up in that location. (With a separate phone number from the Inn.)
(We've been going every year for over 20 years and have seen many restaurants come and go.)