abdullahshine's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

How can we add temporary places in maps

If a temporary stall/seasonal stall is started for a month, how should we place it in google maps

15 comments

Accepted Solutions
Level 9
Level 9
Solution

Re: How can we add temporary places in maps

@abdullahshine wrote:

If a temporary stall/seasonal stall is started for a month, how should we place it in google maps

Temporary places are generally not permitted a listing unless they are regularly recurring. For example a music or food festival which occurs in the same place every year can have a listing and it would be set up in the normal way for any POI - however once the festival ends the listing would be marked as Permanently Closed. Next year the listing can be marked as open again up to 14 days before the event starts.

To demonstrate here are two examples:

https://goo.gl/maps/Tmt3rtHUFCq this festival is currently (at the time of writing) marked as open as it's about to start in two days

https://goo.gl/maps/q19JEjMzoQS2 this Christmas market is currently marked as permanently closed as it won't open until November

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Interesting question , @abdullahshine. I don't have an answer for you, but I will move your post in "mapping my world" board, where you will have the attention of the experts.

Level 9
Level 9
Solution

@abdullahshine wrote:

Temporary places are generally not permitted a listing unless they are regularly recurring. For example a music or food festival which occurs in the same place every year can have a listing and it would be set up in the normal way for any POI - however once the festival ends the listing would be marked as Permanently Closed. Next year the listing can be marked as open again up to 14 days before the event starts.

To demonstrate here are two examples:

https://goo.gl/maps/Tmt3rtHUFCq this festival is currently (at the time of writing) marked as open as it's about to start in two days

https://goo.gl/maps/q19JEjMzoQS2 this Christmas market is currently marked as permanently closed as it won't open until November

Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe that I know answer on that question...

But I will tag @GusMoreira, he is Google Moderator for mapping question, for an official answer for you.

Former Google Contributor

As @Pea said, we only allow verified recurring event/seasonal listings that are tied to a physical location and have an intent to reopen.

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.
Level 8

@GusMoreira When you say 'tied to a physical location' does that include something like a particular street or group of streets? I know of several weekly and monthly street markets that are always in the same location but on non market days/times they just go back to being a regular street or carpark or field.

Level 8

@abdullahshine good question.  Infact the ability to create temporary or tie bound events will open up a lot of opportunities for all of us. 

Cheers!

Connect Moderator

Hello @NickMorris,

Yes, such a market would be mappable as long as it is in the same location each time and follows a set schedule.  Other examples of acceptable places would be an annual music festival that is held in the sample place each year and the next year's dates are already determined, or a bi-annual "Home Show" that again the location remains the same and the dates are pre-determined.

Places that are not acceptable are a food truck that is normally in the same location as it cannot be guaranteed that it won't be attending a special event (there might be a truck that never does that, but then how do you allow it while banning all others?), a pop-up store that will be around for a day or week but it will never return or will not return on a set schedule, etc.

@deepak_bhalla, to be clear, temporary places remain non-mappable.  Temporary would mean they will not return to the same location on a set schedule.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 8

@Flash I am aware that temporary places remain un mappable however that's a suggestion. In some cases google maps have started mapping recurring temporary events like Durga Pujas and Ram Lilas in India which is good.

Level 8

But if i create a recurring event, that's appear every year, for example in december, which days and hours i have to select ? Is not possible select the period ?