rimvydukas's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 2

How can I add memorial?

Hi,

My question is very simple - how can I add memorial to google maps? When I try to add an new place - there is no such thing as memorial in categories list:/

8 comments
Level 7

Re: How can I add memorial?

@Flash, do I recall correctly that "statutes" are one of the categories that exist but are not yet enabled in Maps?

Is it the right approach to defer adding memorials until some future release of GMaps enables the use of an appropriate category?

Connect Moderator

Hello,

In almost all cases a memorial would not be an appropriate item to add to the map.

If you can explain more about this feature, we can let you know if it might be one of the rare permissible times one can be added, and if so then how to do so.

Where is the feature?  To whom or what is it a memorial?  Who owns it, and is it publically accessible?  Do you have a picture of it you can share?

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 6

For memorial there is an option called HISTORICAL LANDMARKS. I think you can use this in the list

Connect Moderator

That would not be appropriate and would just result in either a denial or it later be removed by someone else.  The landmark categories are not meant to be used to force inappropriate items onto the map.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 2

@Flash wrote:

Hello,

In almost all cases a memorial would not be an appropriate item to add to the map.

If you can explain more about this feature, we can let you know if it might be one of the rare permissible times one can be added, and if so then how to do so.

Where is the feature?  To whom or what is it a memorial?  Who owns it, and is it publically accessible?  Do you have a picture of you can share?

Hi,
please explain your position, why such thing is not appropriate? It is very strange to hear such opinion:/ I'm in health resort right now which has not so small amount of memorials/monuments. They are publically available for everyone. They are tourists attraction. And you are saying that it is not appropriate to add such things:/ Why? I want to create 360 photos of these memorials/monuments. But when I want to publish these photos to Google maps - these places do not exist at all in maps. So naturally I want to add these places for tourists to be able to find them. Its our country's history, so please, don't tell me that it is not appropriate:/

One example:
http://www.zybartuva.lt/index.php?cat_id=65&lang=lt

Another example:

http://foto.vz.lt/index.php?mid=354&s=Druskininkai+paminklas+%C4%8Ciurlioniui

Connect Moderator

The examples you have provided are statues.  If you are trying to add a statue then you can add them using the Statue category if they have proper names.  Descriptions in the place of a name are not permitted, so if the statute has nor name or it is described as "Memorial too XXXX" then it cannot be mapped.

To be clear, these are mappable because they are statues.  Memorials are not mappable because they would create clutter, and because most do not have actual names.  Every gravestone in the world is a memorial.  At many parks every bench is a memorial.  Crosses at the site of an accident are memorials.  While they are important to the friends and family of the person being memorialized; we do not put everything that exists on the main map.  What can be mapped is restricted to keep the map quick and uncluttered.  There are more precise rules, but the two basic ones to know is that every POI needs to have a proper name, descriptions cannot be substituted; and that if there is not an appropriate category then it might not be mappable.  If you ever have doubts then please post in the forums and the expert mappers can let you know whether it is mappable.

Level 2

@Flash wrote:

The examples you have provided are statues.  If you are trying to add a statue then you can add them using the Statue category if they have proper names.  Descriptions in the place of a name are not permitted, so if the statute has nor name or it is described as "Memorial too XXXX" then it cannot be mapped.

Sorry for the confusion as English is not my native language but here is google translation:

My language:

M.K.Čiurlionio paminklas

Translation:

M.K.Čiurlionis Monument

Why do you call this monument as not monument but statue? Google translation is not correct?

So how must I name this statues properly? Statue for M.K.Ciurlionis? M.K.Ciurlionis statue? M.K.Ciurlionis Monument?

And sorry to disappoint you but there are no such categories as Monument on Statue neither in mobile ios google maps app nor in desktop google maps app:/ So what is the next suggestion?:)

Connect Moderator

My apologies for the delay.  It's no problem at all, thanks for letting us know that a bit of it is a language issue; I'll try to explain in more detail.

First, I'm not sure if you noticed, but you just switched from "memorial" to "monument".  Those have different meanings as you will see.

Let's define a few words/categories:

• Statue - A statue is a figure that is usually life size or larger, which represents a person or animal.  It is usually cast in metal or carved in stone.  Famous examples would be Christ the Redemmer, David, Venus de Milo and The Great Sphinx Of Giza.  Statues can be mapped if they are outdoors, publicly accessible, and have proper names like the examples I just gave.
  • Monument - a statue, building, or other structure erected to commemorate a famous or notable person or event.  So Christ the Redeemer would be a monument because it is specifically meant to commemorate Jesus Christ, but the other three statues above are not monuments.  The Vietnam War
  • Memorial - something designed to remind people of a deceased person person or past event.

So a statue is a monument that is specifically a representation of a person or animal.

A memorial is anything erected to remember someone.  As I said, while it can include statues and buildings; it would then include gravestones, park benches, trees, or anything else that is in memory of a deceased person or past event.

When I said most memorials are not appropriate on the map, what I meant is nothing should be added to the map due to being a memorial.  If the memorial happens to be a statue, a building or something else mappable; then it can be added to the map for that reason.

So your examples are not mappable as memorials, but they are mappable as statues.

A separate requirement for POIs on the map is that they have proper names.  The map would quickly become crowded and unusable if everything people see could be mapped.  If someone erects a statue of a deer, it cannot be mapped using a description such as "Deer" or "Deer Statue".  This rule helps to keep people from mapping their garden gnomes and backyard fountains (along with another rule that things must be accessible to the public).  Now if there is a well known statue erected by the city that has a plaque naming it "Deer in the Woods", that then can be mapped using that name.

So from your description I don't think they are mappable; as there is not a proper name but rather there is a description.  The fact that you're unsure what to call it is the first indicator that their is no proper name.  What you can do is create a custom map that shows the location of each one, there are multiple ways Google offers to do so but the easiest is My Maps.  Maps set up well will have their elements appear in Google Search.  If these statues are within a park, graveyard, grounds of a hotel, etc. then you would be free to include pictures of them on the main feature.

Finally, I'm sorry, I forgot that the category Statue is one that's not accessible to us right now.  If you have a statue that does meet the criteria for mapping then please use "Send Feedback -> Other Feedback" to ask that it be added.  Linking to pictures you took of it, including pictures of the name, will help the processing of your request.