Ruca's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

How can I add caption to a photo I uploaded to a place?

When I added the Osteria Bar Cureglia by uploading this photo from the photo app on my phone directly to Maps I was offered to enter a caption and I believe I typed "Osteria Bar Cureglia" into that field, but on Maps the photo is now displayed with the caption "tennis club Cureglia" and I can find no way to change it. I uploaded also some other photos later, from my PC, and I wonder if there would have been a way to add caption or short description to these photos or if it is possible to add a caption now.

6 comments
Former Google Contributor

Re: How can I add caption to a photo I uploaded to a place?

Hi @Ruca! Could you provide a screenshot of it? 

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 6

Thank you, Jeslyn. I think I used the wrong term when I said "caption". I enclose a screen shot and I see that the description, at the top left of the screen, is now correct on the photo.

When I first saw it, shortly after adding the Osteria Bar Cureglia,  the text was "tennis club Cureglia", which is the name of another place at the same street address. Apparently, and understandably, it took the system some time to tag the photo correctly.

The photo in the screen shot is the one I uploaded when I added the Osteria Bar Cureglia to the map directly from the photo app, where I was given the option to add a caption to the photo and I typed "Osteria Bar Cureglia" as the caption in that field, the same as the name I gave this new place on the map. This photo now has two lines at the top left, both with the name of the place, and if I read this correctly the first line, in bold, is the name of the place as displayed on the map, the second line is the caption I added to the photo.

When I added other photos later that day after I arrived hone, not from within the app, there was no option to add a caption and these photos only display the name of the place, in bold. I am still looking for a way to add captions also to these other photos, eg "Menu" for one image, "restaurant manager" for another, etc, but perhaps such feature is not available.

Level 6

Forgot the screenshot. Here it is now:

screenshot Osteria Bar Curegliascreenshot Osteria Bar Cureglia

Level 8

Hi @Ruca,

Due to differences in UI between different Maps platforms, change of Photo Caption is:

1.  Not available for me in Desktop Maps (Using Chrome Browser on top of macOS)

2.  Availalbe in Android Maps

- Goto Your Contributions Page

- Goto Photos

- Locate the Photo you want to update, open that photo

- Click on the "Add a caption" at the lower left corner

- Enter your caption, then click the Send symbol at the top right hand corner.

Former Google Contributor

@YK1001 @Ruca Thanks for the additional detail Rudolf and for the answer here Sampson 🙂 We will make a note of the difference in caption adding between desktop and mobile and discuss with the product team. 

Level 6

@YK1001 wrote:

Hi @Ruca,

Due to differences in UI between different Maps platforms, change of Photo Caption is:

1.  Not available for me in Desktop Maps (Using Chrome Browser on top of macOS)

2.  Availalbe in Android Maps

- Goto Your Contributions Page

- Goto Photos

- Locate the Photo you want to update, open that photo

- Click on the "Add a caption" at the lower left corner

- Enter your caption, then click the Send symbol at the top right hand corner.

That's great, thank you very much.