RPaulR's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9

Hillcrest Mall mall on Google Maps has turned into a paint store

The Google Maps listing for Hillcrest Mall in Richmond Hill, Ontario is now a paint store with all of the mall attributes still connected including q&a and the infobox link to wikipedia. Additionally the malls 2000 reviews are connected to the paint store listing.

In order to confirm this issue the listing must be looked at from both maps and search seperately (because in the infobox the name is pulled from the malls wikipedia page).

Im not sure if this is a case of a bad merge or hijacking but a bad merge is much more likely.

I noticed this issue because I looked up mastermind toys and it showed that it was inside Hillcrest Paint instead of Hillcrest Mall.

ON, Canada
10 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Hillcrest Mall mall on Google Maps has turned into a paint store

Hi @RPaulR,

I've escalated this bad merge for you.  Thanks for the report!

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hi @RPaulR,

I've escalated this bad merge for you.  Thanks for the report!

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 9

While I have your attention @Flash did google change the mapmaker/maps guidelines to allow unstaffed, unsigned, drop ship or affiliate marketing (as in website is an online store that the listing owner receives a commission but thats it) 24hr 7day home based listings?

something like 70% or more of the mlm listings now have these drop ship affiliate websites that they do not control. the phone numbers on the website go to the mlm companies web customer service.

some even say online only or eRepresentative in the name or address line

thanks

Connect Moderator

Hello @RPaulR,

No, such places are still not allowed.  You must have a storefront to be on Google Maps.  To have a claimed listing in Google My Business you must do face-to-face business with the end customer (which means the business' own employees, not third party delivery driver).

Level 9

Connect Moderator

You are correctly, they are intentionally obscuring their addresses; as that is required since they do not have a storefront.

The first one you presented seems quite reasonable; she's set a service area that likely does represent the area in which she might hold parties or set up tables at markets.  She may never do that and only sell online; but unless you have proof that she is online only then she should be given the benefit of the doubt.

The ones that have ridiculous sized areas that obviously do not represent an area in which they do face-to-face business or that state "Order Online" right in there name should be deleted.  If you have trouble deleting them then the best advice is to make a post in the GMB Forum asking for a TC there to escalate those you cannot delete.

Level 9

@Flash 

please look at the first one more carefully

The service area cover almost 5000km (edit - not 500)squared and the listing is missing a (i thought required) phone number.
The name of the listing is the url for the affiliate site.

if the name of a listing is a online only affiliate store url doesnt that make it equivalent to a listing that says online in the name?

intentionally obscuring is a referance to other listings that have no service area set like 

https://www.google.com/maps?cid=5194174798784045842

https://goo.gl/maps/8AE1rrR5VqL2

notice that directions are available

@Flash
Also i thought service area listings required to have a valid name and phone (so the na out of nap)?

sorry for all the edits

thanks

Connect Moderator

Assuming she lives in the middle of that area, it's less than an hour to get anywhere in that area.

Her phone number is on her website, you can update the listing if you want.  If she keeps removing it, then you might ask to escalate it via GMB.

If you strongly feel that it should be removed, go ahead and ask GMB to escalate it; but as it's a reasonable service area the more likely result will be updating/repair of the POI rather than removal.

Level 9

@Flash
Could you decide on an appropriate name and correct the listing? URLs are not typically allowed to be names.
Also she does not control the content of the affiliate site and anything ordered is drop shipped. Should the url be blanked?

So Name?

URL? (blank or leave)

Phone number (add)

also I understand hidden address service area listings are ok but if a listing has a visible address that was obscured is it still supposed to be deleted. (example below - Boise, ID 83701, USA)

https://www.google.com/maps?cid=5194174798784045842

https://goo.gl/maps/8AE1rrR5VqL2

g
et directions is available

Connect Moderator

You should not treat this any different than the local franchise of any other business.  Treat it just like a Subway or McDonalds:

• the name would be Scentsy
  • the URL is fine, that website is under Scentsy's control
  • you should add her local URL

As a note, URLs can be names if that is the actual name of the company.  1-800-Flowers is an example.

You are correct, POIs set up as regular, non-service area POIs without proper street addresses are not permitted.  They would need one of:

• the street address being added if there is a storefront
  • deletion if there is no storefront