OStr's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Hijacked by a renamed tag

Asian supermarket Al Premium Food Mart, on 1970 Eglinton Ave E in Toronto, has existed for years. A few months ago, a new Indian restaurant - Angaara - was opened inside it, adding to its prepared food section.

Rather than create a new tag for the restaurant, some misguided soul chose to rename the existing supermarket to "Angaara - Authentic Indian Cuisine", and another misguided soul (or the same one under a different account?) chose to approve it. Suddenly, 200+ reviews written for the supermarket, and dozens of photos posted over the years, show up under the brand new restaurant.

I tried to fix that by renaming the tag back to "Al Premium Food Mart", with the intention of then adding the restaurant, but my change was promptly rejected. In the meantime, someone added a new tag with the supermarket's name, but this one has none of the many reviews or pictures already posted for it.

What's the best way to resolve this mess?

Thanks!

6 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Hijacked by a renamed tag

What you are describing sounds more like the merger of two POIs rather than a hijack.  You cannot fix this yourself; forcing a name on the POI will not resolve all the data feeds into it that provide other information.  As @Pea stated, you need to use Other Feedback to report it.  Even when Map Maker was available and we could do very complex edits it still required a Googler to fix inappropriate merges as they must untangle backend data.  Please be aware that this can take some time to resolve.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 9
Level 9

It will be a mess you're right. Best thing at this stage would be to report the situation:

In the desktop version open the map at the desired location
Click the hamburger icon ☰
Click Send feedback
Click Other feedback
Describe your issue or share your ideas
Add a screenshot as directed

Connect Moderator
Solution

What you are describing sounds more like the merger of two POIs rather than a hijack.  You cannot fix this yourself; forcing a name on the POI will not resolve all the data feeds into it that provide other information.  As @Pea stated, you need to use Other Feedback to report it.  Even when Map Maker was available and we could do very complex edits it still required a Googler to fix inappropriate merges as they must untangle backend data.  Please be aware that this can take some time to resolve.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

Thank you, @Pea and @Flash. I sent a general comment to GMaps about this three weeks ago, but didn't try the reporting button you suggested. I tried that now; hope someone takes a look this time.

I'll post an update as soon as I see this fixed.

Level 10

Success!  The restaurant has been renamed back to the supermarket. Now I just need to restore the phone and website, and remove the duplicate created since then.

Level 10

All fixed. The two POIs have been merged by the Gmaps team. The only collateral damage are reviews by people who posted a review for both POIs - they had one of their reviews lost.

Level 8

Well done, lesson for us all to check and recheck before naming locations and then use the facilities on GMaps to report when needed.