AnhMyTran's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Google forcing Chinese names onto places in Vietnam

Many time, I asked Google to erase Chinese names on places in Vietnam, such as Sand Hill Nam Cuong, geographic location of 

11°30'37.9"N 108°59'55.7"E.

However, Google still keeps such Chinese name.

That makes war between the Vietnamese and the Chinese, and the Vietnamese think that Google takes the side of the Chinese. Vietnam is an independent nation against China. Vietnamese have their own language that is quite different from Chinese.

I am asking all of us support my suggestion to use local language and local names instead of foreign names.

Thank you for understanding.

2 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Google forcing Chinese names onto places in Vietnam

Hello,

Maps is available to people around the world and accepts languages from around the word so that all can view the map in a language they understand.  When I view your example, I see the English and the Vietnamese names.

As you state, Vietnamese and Chinese are very different languages.  Someone who is Chinese and viewing the map will not be able to read the Vietnamese language.  That is why Google allows multiple languages to be use to name a feature.

In my own city in Canada there are many places and shops with Vietnamese names including in Google Maps, in order that you would be able to view the map easier.  This is no different than what you are seeing.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Connect Moderator

Re: Google forcing Chinese names onto places in Vietnam

As a note, adding a review to a feature to complain about Google's naming is not at all appropriate. Please confine your reviews to be about your experience at the feature so that others can no more about whether they wish to visit or not.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages