Jessica_J's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Google Maps won't let me update the name of a location

I'm trying to update the coffee shop in my neighborhood at the train station. It used to be called "Union Station Coffee Shoppe" and had been marked as permanently closed, but I called the number and sure enough the answering machine answered as "Dian's Depot" which is the name the shop is now operating under. I was able to successfully flag it as open, and Google accepted that, but I'm trying to update the name, hours, and map pin (the address is right, but the map puts it in the building on the other side of the tracks which is wrong) and Google keeps refusing my updates.

I've submitted a picture of the big sign inside saying "DIAN'S DEPOT", a picture of the hours sign (which is just a printout in a plastic sleeve taped to the door), and checked in at the location (saying "I'm here now", complete with my dot showing up exactly dead center in the building where I was standing), but Google refuses to let me make any of the updates, it just keeps saying "NOT APPLIED" and whining that it "couldn't verify" my edits. I've submitted as much evidence as I possibly can!

I know the owner hasn't tried to claim it, I talked to him about it this morning when I tried to submit the edits. He has confirmed that the street address is indeed 7 Mill Street, although Google Maps puts the pin on the wrong side of the tracks for that.

The big sign insideThe big sign inside The hoursThe hours
Map showing the location issueMap showing the location issue

7 Mill Street, Attleboro, MA, United States
2 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Google Maps won't let me update the name of a location

Hello,

Each place on the map represents a single business at a single location.  There are many different data feeds into a place, and thus we never try to change it into a new place.  When Union Station Coffee Shoppe closed, someone correctly marked it as closed.  Please re-mark it as closed and then create a new place to represent the new business.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 9

Re: Google Maps won't let me update the name of a location

Hello @Jessica_J

Just as @Flash has excellently put it. The old business closed and a new one opened, its not the right procedure to try using "This place is open" to add something new into the maps. Just indicate the place as permanently closed and then; map it afresh as a new business listing pitting all the new information you are trying to force into the old closed business listing.

It is amazing what you can accomplish if you do not care who gets the credit.