EinarPállS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Re: Google Maps replaces a good website with much worse

Although the statue might be owned by the city it is a landmark place like the many tourist attractions and places around the country. When a third party website is better and more informative it should be used by Google Maps.  In my opinion Google Maps should appreciate the work and time Local Guides submit to enhancing the content on Google Maps and always use the better information unless the place is a business that is owned by someone. Here is a reminder of what is suggested at LG Help:  Earn points by contributing content to Google Maps. Score a place with ratings, describe your experience with reviews, share photographs and videos, provide insights with answers, respond to questions about a place, update information with place edits, add missing places, or verify information by checking facts.

Best regards

Einar

P.S. I did not mark this thread as complete or sufficiently answered.  

Einar Páll Svavarsson
Level 7

How does this apply to a public place, a tourist attraction, a landmark or places that do not have a particular "owner".  
Like the one discussing here.  It is a landmark and a public place, not only a statue?

Einar

Einar Páll Svavarsson
Level 9

@EinarPállS  Thanks for your patience with me I thought about it overnight and was going to go off in another direction. But now understand how my questions were off since I did not understand it was a city-owned stature.  The owner of the Point of Interest would be the judge and person to control the link. So as to how it changes you were right, it is a person and that person is in the city who controls the GMB listing with the Google My Business dashboard. When they see an edit on the listing page they can accept or reject the change and they are rejecting the change replacing it with the city-owned site.  I did not look deep enough to see the contact page being city hall.  Einar sorry it took so much text to clarify it.   Thanks, Flash.

Connect Moderator

The owner must also follow the above rules.  The site previously being used was also inappropriate to use even if the owner had entered it.

The URL field for a place is for entering the URL of that place.  If one wants to find 3rd party sites that describe the place, that is the function of Google Search, not Google Maps.  Even in the context of Search, since the products are now so interlinked, Google is already aware of what sites are about a place; this field is to indicate what site belongs to the place.  It needs to specifically belong to the place as a field that allowed you to enter URL's about a place would be heavily abused by spammers.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages