EinarPállS's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Google Maps replaces a good website with much worse

When I started to submit information to Google Maps slightly over a year ago I sometimes submitted a webpage for a place. Only when there was no website and then submitted a website from my information website with good sufficient information for the benefit to the traveler. These were mainly places of interest, landmarks, natural wonders etc. All places where some or better information was needed. Naturally Google Maps "experts" sometimes accepted this although more often it was declined, choosing to continue to have no information rather than good information. 

At one point they accepted to have my website connected to the Sun Voyager, a popular landmark and sculpture in Reykjavík.  There is a wealth of information about the sculpture,  its history, and location on my website.  A few weeks ago the "experts" decided to replace this link with a link to much worse information. Even to a website that is not secure?  Although I have spent a lot of time submitting information to Google Maps in the last 15 moths, the "experts" didn't even bother to give me notice. Extremely impolite. Even though I have made some serious contribution with photos that have been viewed almost three million times in the recent moths. 

Can you describe the process that led to this decision, who made the decision and why Google Maps chooses to replace good information with worse information?

Einar Páll

Einar Páll Svavarsson
Sólfarið - Sun Voyager, Sculpture & Shore Walk, Reykjavík, Iceland
13 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Google Maps replaces a good website with much worse

Hello @EinarPállS,

One of the most important requirements for the URL field is that the URL be under control of the owners of the POI to which it is attached.

Another requirement is that a URL added by the public should not be a third party site.  If the place is claimed then the owner may use the GMB dashboard to add a third party site if:

1. that page is under their control
  2. there is no page that they own
  3. there is not a better page that meets the above requirements.

This allows the addition of URLs such as Facebook and Wix by the owner if that is all that is available.

I'm afraid that the page you added was not permitted as it was a third party page.

As the statue is owned by the city and the current URL being used is the official city sponsored page for tourism, it is permissible and appears to be the best page that meets all the rules.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 9

@EinarPállS Most of what is effected by local guides is posting information to make the listing more complete on Google My Business pages so a person gets a better idea of a location prior to visiting.  Based on your question most of the information is regarding these two sites. Are you asking why one site ranks better than the other in the search results?  Neither of these sites seems to have a Google My Business page and both are online companies that are not brick and mortar companies or service area companies that would fit the listing pre requisite.  To answer why is one chosen over the other in search results it is done by googles search algorithm that uses about 200 factors that are kept secrete to prevent gaming and to show the most relevant search results for each user's query. Some of the biggest unique relevant content, links to the site and social signals. It is a study that can be a career for people to answer just that question on ranking and helping people rank better to learn by reference what things to do.  

Some of the code on hit Iceland is better for telling google specific information that the site is about.  That same information is missing on the other. There can be a huge amount of differences that add up one way or the other. It is all done by the computer, not by a person.  I hope this helps.

Level 7

You might be aware that questions about search result are best resolved at Search Console and are answered by people working at that section at Google. I did not even mention search results and it is beyond me how you could drag that into this discussion. The question had nothing to do with search results. 

Now, here is my question again.  A question that should be pointed to Google Maps and should be answered by Google Maps.

Can you describe the process that led to this decision, who made the decision and why Google Maps chooses to replace good information with worse information?

One option when suggesting a new place is, as you might know, Tourist Attraction.  

I am asking why the better information to a secure website was replaced to a website with worse information and to a website that is not secure? 

Could you please stick to the questions?

Einar

Einar Páll Svavarsson
Level 10

Hi @EinarPállS, while you may be right that your website provides better and more information over the other one, please, note that neither website should theoretically be eligible in that URL slot in Maps. That's "reserved" for the official website of the POI. 

Now I understand that such a POI doesn't usually have an official website and some info is better than none, but any LG may suggest another website instead of the existing one (of course, I would have no idea about the motives here). In many cases, the approval is automatic and most probably no Googler was involved here either.

Level 7

I am a bit amazed by your answer.  It is of course insufficient and broad.  It is also impossible that it was automatic since you can not suggest a website when there is one registered at the place. So a Googler was involved. 
I would assume that one reason for Google to develop Google Maps is to help people understand where they are going and if POI is actually a POI in their opinion? It is not a business owned by someone, but an interesting place or a tourist attraction.  I would assume that it would be beneficial for Google Maps to direct people to some more interesting information.  Like was the case when my website was connected to Sun Voyager but less so after the changes.  So I am asking who actually did this and why? 

So for the third time a am asking the question:

Best regards

Einar

Einar Páll Svavarsson
Level 9

@EinarPállS Can you post a Google Maps search query result that you are referring to?  With that, we could give you a better more specific answer.

I the meantime the answer to your question is it is the search algorithm that made the decision based on ranking factors, not a person.  "Can you describe the process that led to this decision (the computer), who made the decision and why Google Maps chooses to replace good information with worse information?"   The decision was made based on over 200 factors done by the Google algorithm. You fell they made a wrong decision by selecting good information in your eyes.

The same thing happens every time you post a picture as a contribution to a Google My Business listing. After the picture is posted it is displayed by the ranking factors Google has selected.  No one touches the process. It is done automatically.  The choice they make per picture can be debated as to best one but it is their system.  

This group is for Google My Business contributions and what you are asking does not seem to relate to contributions or information regarding Google My Business contributions. Or I may not have enough details to understand the correlation to how the two are listed in google maps or business listing results.

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello @EinarPállS,

One of the most important requirements for the URL field is that the URL be under control of the owners of the POI to which it is attached.

Another requirement is that a URL added by the public should not be a third party site.  If the place is claimed then the owner may use the GMB dashboard to add a third party site if:

1. that page is under their control
  2. there is no page that they own
  3. there is not a better page that meets the above requirements.

This allows the addition of URLs such as Facebook and Wix by the owner if that is all that is available.

I'm afraid that the page you added was not permitted as it was a third party page.

As the statue is owned by the city and the current URL being used is the official city sponsored page for tourism, it is permissible and appears to be the best page that meets all the rules.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

sun voyager.jpg

I am not sure that you understand the question.  But here is a screen shot explaining how it has nothing to do with google search and the google algorithm.

Einar Páll Svavarsson
Level 9

@EinarPállS Thank you for posting the screenshot.  Without this, there is no way to understand the question.  Please, re read the post by above. Two entities qualify for a Google My Business listing. Companies with brick and mortar locations and service area companies.  Not statues.  This listing is pretty interesting I do not read the language does it show as being claimed.  Posting the link to the listing would have been helpful. 

So for this listing People can suggest edits and then google chooses based on crowdsourcing information and other online signals.  Thanks for posting.

Level 7

I apologise for not being clear in the question. I do on the other hand very much appreciate your clear answer after I sent the screenshot.  Your explanation is in accordance with my understanding and I submit my photos and content to Google Maps with that in mind.  It is first and foremost to enhance the information for those who use Google Maps for traveling.  For this particular place, the Sun Voyager, I am still of the opinion that a good informative and secure website was replaced by much worse for those traveling in Reykjavík.

Einar Páll Svavarsson