AnuradhaP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Google Maps does not allow to add existing museum

I raised this issue a few days ago after the Galle Fort Meet-up

The issue is there are two museums in the same building, and these two museums belong to two institutes. One museum is dedicated to maritime and another one for maritime archaeology. The maritime archaeology museum is the popular one, and it is missing in the Google maps. We tried to fix this during our meetup and Google map was rejecting it. 

The plaques at the entrance of two museums are given below. How can I fix this? @GusMoreira can you help on this?

large (1).jpg

large.jpg

Galle Fort, Galle, Sri Lanka
18 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Google Maps does not allow to add existing museum

Hi @AnuradhaP,

Because the names of the museum are really similar and people had previously named the Maritime Museum as Maritime Archaeology Museum before, our system wasn't allowing you to add to avoid duplicates and/or spam.

As you clarified the difference, I create a new POI for the museum so everyone can contribute now - https://goo.gl/IhviQI

😃

Due to the volume of private messages Google Moderators receive, I do not read or respond to private messages.
Please post publicly so others may benefit from your discussion. Thank you.

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

Other than name, how were the two separated on the map?  For example, what URLs were supplied for both the existing and new POI?  What phone numbers were provided?

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

@Flash Yes, different phone numbers and URLS were provided. 

Level 9

@AnuradhaP I have moved the maritine museum to the correct place last time while at Galle meet-up and got approved but just added the new place Maritime Archaeology Museum and got rejected.

@Corrie @JessicaS @TraciC @AradhanaB can you help us on this issue.

Screenshot_20170221-185018.png

Level 10

@IlankovanT Thanks.

Level 9
Level 9

@AnuradhaP wrote:

Yes, different phone numbers and URLS were provided. 

What are the two different numbers and urls you provided? I can only find one (url for Maritime Museum http://www.museum.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_regionalm&task=regionalmuseum&id=8&Itemid=79&lang=...)

Former Google Contributor

@GusMoreira to assist with mapping questions. 

Level 8
Level 8

Add a new place, is It possible ?

@AnuradhaP wrote:

I raised this issue a few days ago after the Galle Fort Meet-up

The issue is there are two museums in the same building, and these two museums belong to two institutes. One museum is dedicated to maritime and another one for maritime archaeology. The maritime archaeology museum is the popular one, and it is missing in the Google maps. We tried to fix this during our meetup and Google map was rejecting it. 

The plaques at the entrance of two museums are given below. How can I fix this? @GusMoreira can you help on this?

large (1).jpg

large.jpg

Connect Moderator

@AnuradhaP wrote:

@Flash Yes, different phone numbers and URLS were provided. 

That was not the question asked, I asked for the actual data you used.

No one can help you troubleshoot this issue if you will not provide all the details.  There is something going wrong in the process.  Simply stating that nothing is wrong will not solve the issue; we already know something is not right.

Could you please provide full details of what you entered that differentiated the disallowed museum from the other museum.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

@Flash

Maritime Museum was on the map. The details were ok except the location. We changed it during the meetup. We can not add the Maritime Archaeology Museum. Details are given below.

Maritime Museum - The link provided by the @Pea gives the correct details.

URL - http://www.museum.gov.lk/web/index.php?option=com_regionalm&task=regionalmuseum&id=8&Itemid=79&lang=...

Phone: 091 22 42261

Maritime Archaeology Museum belongs to the Central Cultural Fund and their website is broken. You can visit their site by following this link

Maritime Archaeology Museum

URL - http://ccf.gov.lk

Phone - 0912 245 254 

@Flash Please let me know if you need more information.