jsclise's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Google Map Updates

Would anyone be able to tell me how often Google updates the satellite views on Google Maps?  I have been looking over the local view for my area and notice some of the building are not there.  I do realize that Western Maryland is not a metropolis but I thought that may update more often.

2 comments
Level 10

Re: Google Map Updates

Hi @jsclise

Google never reveals when they are on to something, you know. This is also valid for aerial imagery updates. A while ago I remember an online tool to report imagery that was 3 years old or older. Of course it also said there's no guarantee for an update. I cannot locate that page any longer but things change so much in this area that I do not even wonder why. Interestingly, this 3-year cycle seems to have worked with my city - although the current imagery is even worse than the previous one but we also have 3D view which seems to be perfect but a bit shifted so it's hard to work precisely.

Anyway, there is no definite and better answer to your question than "nobody knows" (and whoever knows, cannot / will not tell). 

Here's an online tool to mark some spots and receive notification for changes: 

https://followyourworld.appspot.com/

How (well) it works, I do not know.

Level 10

Re: Google Map Updates

Update: 

I also tried that online tool for my place and got this email (highlight by me): 

Follow Your WorldFollow Your World

Hi,

Thanks for letting us know about this point of interest, Pécs. We'll send you an update each time the imagery is updated in this area.

Please note that while we strive to have the most up-to-date imagery, future updates can take weeks, months and even years!

If you'd like to manage your current email subscriptions, please visit your dashboard.

Regards,
The Google Geo Team