DennisGD's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Gated communities

There a number of community blocks that are closed to car traffic using lock gates. How do we enter | record the presence of lock gates? 

Moscow, Russia
5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Gated communities

Hello,

Gated communities are indicated by having the roads within marked as Private.  This was an option in Map Maker but has yet to be added to Maps.  You would need to use Send Feedback -> Edit The Map to select the roads that need to be marked private, and then enter into the Other field "Gated community, please mark the roads as private".

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

A related issue was just raised in the Google Maps Forum.

The user asked that Google Maps directions to addresses that are inside a gated community go to one particular entrance that is staffed to admit visitors.  The map shows additional entrances but those use automatic gates that only residents can open.

Would "Other feedback" be the best way to ask the map editors to put some kind of restriction on these resident-only gates?

Can we give the user some tips on what she should do to help Google with verification?   Geo-tagged photos of each gate, perhaps?

Connect Moderator

Hi Jim,

I believe I already came across that post on the Maps forum.

This has been a common question over the years.  There is no method to restrict a road that is in use to only be used by certain people.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 7

Gregg,  would it be appropriate to show the first road segment behind a "residents-only" (transponder-controlled) gate as closed road segment, so that directions would have to use the staffed visitors gate(s)?

Those who had transponders would certainly have the local knowledge to navigate to those gates w/o GMaps if that was how they want to enter the community.

Connect Moderator

I'm afraid that we do cannot falsify data to get a desired effect.

It is very common in a gated community to have a locked gate that no one can use; it's usually considered an emergency entrance (and likely would have to have a fire truck ram it as the key would not be immediately available).  This is the sort of road that should be marked as No Auto Traffic.

But a road that is used but has some restrictions would be marked as Terminal.  In most cases this would help, Terminal roads are only used for navigation if the place can only be reached via them.  However, this the case of a gated community are marked as Terminal, so in this case it's not going to make a difference.

I did forget to mention one option; the appropriate way navigation should be fixed on most gated communities is to have the access point moved to the front gate.  The access point is invisible and not user editable, this would require a "Other feedback" request.  It is only going to work, though. for those places that have a single address and then each home is a unit number, as we do not map unit numbers and there thus should only be one address point.  One could ask Google to place and modify the navigation for every single address in a community with unique addresses, but I cannot say if such a request would be honoured.  It would also be a difficult request to submit without using third party resources.