SamsonL's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 1

Footpath / Hiking Trails

Without MapMaker how can you do this in Google Map?

11 comments

Accepted Solutions
Former Google Contributor
Solution

Re: Footpath / Hiking Trails

Hi @SamsonL, we will continue to roll out updates and new features to make sure users able to do most of the things that were previously done in Map Maker – like adding or editing footpaths and hiking trails as you mentioned. So make sure to stay tuned! 🙂

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

View solution in original post

Former Google Contributor
Solution

Hi @SamsonL, we will continue to roll out updates and new features to make sure users able to do most of the things that were previously done in Map Maker – like adding or editing footpaths and hiking trails as you mentioned. So make sure to stay tuned! 🙂

New to Connect? Check out Help Desk! Always keep in mind the Local Guides program rules when posting.

Level 8

What is the progress with this particular function of adding trails, because that is where I spent my life, in the wild?

Bolelang Rakeepile
Connect Moderator

Hello @Bolelang,

Google does not pre-announce release dates for features, both to maintain a competitive advantage and because delays can always happen.

To the system trails are not special features, but rather are simply roads along which vehicular traffic is restricted.  You should expect trails to be available for addition when roads become available.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 6

Is there a possibility of getting information as to what file formats will be accepted for GPS capture or even if that is how it will work?

This could allow Guides to be working in parallel to capture trails while the feature is being worked on.

Level 7

Please review the information provided for the Imagery Partner Program

Connect Moderator

At no time was it said that GPS capture will ever be a possibility.  Even when we had the most advanced editing tools, we have always added and edited roads by hand.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 6

I mean that would just be an intelligent feature ... how else would one enter in data for off road trails that are miles, 10's of miles, or even 100's of miles long? I'm pretty sure when map maker was still alive that this was a feature. You can still load a .GPX file when making personal maps so it seems like most of the necessary functionality is already in the maps interface just not the fact that you can actually do it in anything besides personal maps or submit it publicly. I'm going to assume you just misunderstood me when I used the phrase GPS capture.

Connect Moderator

I did not misunderstand you.  A feature such as that would only work if you were guaranteed to be the only one working on the feature.  Maps, however, has many people working on it and many different resources providing the data.

I mean that would just be an intelligent feature ... how else would one enter in data for off road trails that are miles, 10's of miles, or even 100's of miles long?

We have added such roads for many years without such a feature.  As I stated, roads were drawn by hand.  There was for a period of time a feature to overlay a GPS track on the map so that you could then hand trace it.  But for long roads that normally was not needed; those take a long time to build and will show up on the aerials before they are finished; the tracing of which will allow more precise alignment than a GPS track.

I'm pretty sure when map maker was still alive that this was a feature. 

Map Maker never had a feature to import GPS traces into the database.  All roads were hand drawn.

Level 6

@Flash wrote:

I did not misunderstand you.  A feature such as that would only work if you were guaranteed to be the only one working on the feature.  Maps, however, has many people working on it and many different resources providing the data.

Some functionality of the like obviously existed at one time seeing as there are trails on google maps currently. Whether it was by importing .GPX files (or some other format) or by hand drawing them is another question. I hope this is something that will be added back to the interface soon. It seemed to work fine before and it is not like something like that could not be verified by others like any other maps data.

Pardon my blunt question but are you even a Google employee? You seem to be throwing out "we" a lot hinting that you are somehow actually involved in the development of maps. I find it hard to believe an actual software developer couldn't see that this would be a viable/exciting/useful feature... let alone the functionality basically already exists when creating personal maps (like on Google Drive).