Food Trucks

How do I map the Food Trucks

Oakville, ON, Canada
10 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Food Trucks

Businesses with non-permanent location are not permitted on the map.

Food trucks were part of an escalation I raised with Google via the Map Maker team, as that remains unresolved I will need to raise it again.  Until a time that we hear different, though, food trucks would remain unmappable.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 9
Level 9

Food trucks used to be considered not mappable, but I've seen conflicting advice on different forums. Possibly it depends on the whether the truck always returns to the same spot and works the same hours every day or if it's more peripatetic, in which case it might be a Service Area Business. Some trucks work location A from Monday to Friday and location B at weekends. Or they switch places between days and evenings.

Where the line is drawn is not clear, nor if it makes any difference if this is a powered truck the size of an RV or a hand push cart - or a stall that doesn't itself move but gets stripped down to barely a table with nothing to identify the business when not trading.

It would be good to get a firmer answer here on Connect that could cover food trucks, carts, stalls and street food in general.

Could a Mod move this to Mapping Your World, thanks

Level 10

Further research revels that almost all food trucks have their website. Most websites bear the information of the locations where the owner/s run the operations.

@PhilipF wrote:

Food trucks used to be considered not mappable, but I've seen conflicting advice on different forums. Possibly it depends on the whether the truck always returns to the same spot and works the same hours every day or if it's more peripatetic, in which case it might be a Service Area Business. Some trucks work location A from Monday to Friday and location B at weekends. Or they switch places between days and evenings.

Where the line is drawn is not clear, nor if it makes any difference if this is a powered truck the size of an RV or a hand push cart - or a stall that doesn't itself move but gets stripped down to barely a table with nothing to identify the business when not trading.

It would be good to get a firmer answer here on Connect that could cover food trucks, carts, stalls and street food in general.

Level 8

Food trucks is a rising problem in my area.

Our local authorities has authorized this kind of business now.

As I suspect owners of those trucks to put themselves on GoogleMaps for advertising purposes... we'll have the same vehicule marked on the map at different location.

it's gonna be a hell of a job to control them.

Level 10

Hi PierreJ

I am very curious to know what your area is. I am also anxious to know why you consider it is not only a problem but also a rising problem.

Being a democratic institution, if your local authority allowed those to be in your area, there should a lot of economic, social and political reasons to support that decision. I know for sure North American local governments put a lot of permit recitations such as food safety, gas safety and electrical safety before they allow a food truck on the street.

Food trucks add value to our cosmopolitan life as they can move in to parks, carnivals, exhibitions and even to curbside for special events as they make some goods and services regular people demand at the particular place, at the particular time. They can easily move in to disaster areas such as recent floods in Ontario and support first respondents and victims who deserve to be served with a meal and a cup of hot beverages.   

Advertising is vital product promotional aspect marketing process. Advertising is not a sin.  If I attend the a certain event and if the Google maps can show all the foods trucks in that location I would be very thankful to Google Maps for a number of reasons. If a food truck owner has scheduled areas of parking according to their web sites it is the Google Map user who gets the maximum benefits.     

@PierreJ wrote:

Food trucks is a rising problem in my area.

Our local authorities has authorized this kind of business now.

As I suspect owners of those trucks to put themselves on GoogleMaps for advertising purposes... we'll have the same vehicule marked on the map at different location.

it's gonna be a hell of a job to control them.

As a Google Local Guide I would never dare to control a food truck. It is an utter mission-lost situation for a GLG. It is completely out of our protocol.  Controlling a poor truck owner who is running that to make living out of that, should never be GLG’s “hell of a job” as you describe that. In North America that controlling part is taken care by a number of authorities. If they are in a certain geographical location let us put them on the map for the benefit of the Google Map user.

Level 10

@Pea Thanks for useful information.

@RohithaF

@PierJes

@Pea wrote:

Connect Moderator
Solution

Businesses with non-permanent location are not permitted on the map.

Food trucks were part of an escalation I raised with Google via the Map Maker team, as that remains unresolved I will need to raise it again.  Until a time that we hear different, though, food trucks would remain unmappable.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Level 8

@RohithaF

You didn't understand a word I said.

The rising problem is the fact food trucks don't respect google's rules.

Read the thread again : Food trucks are UNMAPPABLE.

As for my area, Quebec City, food trucks were prohibited before 2 months ago.

Local-guides weren't confronted to this kind of trouble until now.

Lastly, you are wrong. GoogleMaps are not for business owners to do advertising. They can claim a venue to deal with customers via the comments section. That's about all.

Level 7

This stinks. There's got to be a better solution than "sorry". Some of these trucks are operated by Michelin rated chefs. If nothing, they could make GMB S.A. listing contributions available to GLG.

David Hunter,
Epic Web
@EpicWebStudios
Connect Moderator

If nothing, they should have a GMB listing. 

Unmappable does not always mean cannot be listed in the local directory.  Food trucks are more than welcome to sign up for a GMB listing.

When doing so they would use their home base address, and then they would set a service area and say they go to the customer.  This would hide the street portion of their address and not give them a marker on the map; but they would show up in searches within their service area.

Many businesses must list themselves this way.  Doing so is completely up to the business operator, as they cannot have a precise marker on the map we cannot do so using Maps editing tools.