Pea's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 9
Level 9

Florists Scam in London

There is a fairly large scale and sophisticated florist scam in London using fake Local Guide reviews and shops with fake map listings.

Some of the florist shops are totally false locations, however the clever ones hijack listings for florists which used to exist but went out of business. These shops are harder to identify because the listings were verified by the original genuine owners. Then sometime later when the shop closed, the phone number was edited to redirect the business and fake reviews were added to lend authenticity.

The LG reviewers usually have slightly weird sounding names and they only review other fake florists and give five star reviews. I discovered around 20 spamming LG accounts, there were probably more. I won't identify any LG accounts directly because the Mods will probably redact them even though they're obviously spammers.

I will though link to this mapped business https://goo.gl/maps/idEWEnmpaDt . On initial inspection it looks genuine, a verified listing even with photos from the owner. In July 2014 you can see it on StreetView https://goo.gl/maps/JZa8qGSxE182 and if you look closely you can see the real phone number ending in 3923. However by May 2016 StreetView shows https://goo.gl/maps/TBB4qgzGGP52 the florist has closed and been replaced by a clothes store. I did some further checking and other sources confirm the florist went out of business.

If you now look at the reviews for this florist you can see the top 5 were all in the last month long after the business closed. If you choose to click any of those reviewers names you'll see all their other fake florist reviews. Eventually if you follow the reviewers you'll discover a network of at least 20 spam LG accounts and dozens of fake shops. 

Hopefully Map/LG staffers can get these businesses and LG accounts all removed together - and Google can improve its filtering because it is clearly too easy to add spam, which degrades the reputation and reliability of Maps.

Final thought, there really needs to be a direct way to report spammers a bit like there is in MapMaker, but there should also be an open comment field to allow an explanation why the report is being made.

London, United Kingdom
37 comments
Level 10

Re: Florists Scam in London

@PhilipF wrote:

Hopefully Map/LG staffers can get these businesses and LG accounts all removed together - and Google can improve its filtering because it is clearly too easy to add spam, which degrades the reputation and reliability of Maps.

Final thought, there really needs to be a direct way to report spammers a bit like there is in MapMaker, but there should also be an open comment field to allow an explanation why the report is being made.

+1

Level 10

@PhilipF wrote:

I will though link to this mapped business https://goo.gl/maps/idEWEnmpaDt .

Well, at least it seems that I have been successful at reporting this business as "permanently closed". Most probably Google had had some records (or clues) so it went through flawlessly. 

https://goo.gl/maps/W4ARZUvmCtk

Level 9
Level 9

Hi CsabaP

You were of course perfectly correct to mark this as permanently closed, but just as a FYI, the reason I had not done this myself was that I wanted to see what Google staffers would do - whether they might take some other action as part of a wider investigation into the scam. 

As it stands this business is now marked closed, however it retains the fake phone number. If the listing gets reopened then the scam will simply continue as before.

I mentioned there are over 20 fake LG accounts involved in this scam and there are perhaps 30 or 40 fake shop listings in London, maybe many more around the UK, so somebody went to considerable trouble to set this up. I could spend several hours following the web of reviews and mark each shop as closed but the scammers could just reopen them all in minutes.

This issue needs some specific direction from staffers, maybe @Corrie, @TraciC or @GusMoreira could chip in 

Connect Moderator

in effetti è una cosa strana, @Csaba, effettivamente questo gruppo di persone ha fatto recensioni solo di fioristi, una parte non sono Guild Locali.

Vedo che hai fatto un lavoro molto approfondito, sono molto perplesso di come siano stati mantenuti attivi luoghi in realtà chiusi o non esistenti.

Hai fatto un gran lavoro

Buon 2017

Level 8

Great job!

Let's see whether google cares too or not now.

Level 9

@StefanoL wrote:

Great job!

Let's see whether google cares too or not now.

Hmmm.....

I've also been seeing a lot of places with URLs in the form of <companyname>.vitrineuk.com - certainly (as ever) a fair few people intent on abusing Maps. 

Thanks for sharing this though @Pea - happy to help get them removed, but would be better if Google tackled the underlying issue.

Level 9
Level 9

@SteveWa wrote:

I've also been seeing a lot of places with URLs in the form of <companyname>.vitrineuk.com

I've seen it too and there are several posting on the MapMaker forum about that (but let's drop it here as I don't want to take this thread off topic)

Former Google Contributor

@Pea  Please send us links to the accounts and places in question so we can conduct a full investigation. 

Level 9
Level 9

@Corrie I sent an email listing 20 LG accounts six days ago and they are all still live. Obviously it would normally take a bit of time to investigate an account, but these are very, very clearly spam accounts operating a concerted scam.

Do you have any advice regarding my comment on Saturday: 

As it stands this business is now marked closed, however it retains the fake phone number. If the listing gets reopened then the scam will simply continue as before.

I mentioned there are over 20 fake LG accounts involved in this scam and there are perhaps 30 or 40 fake shop listings in London, maybe many more around the UK, so somebody went to considerable trouble to set this up. I could spend several hours following the web of reviews and mark each shop as closed but the scammers could just reopen them all in minutes.

Should I mark these businesses as Closed or leave them as part of your investigation?