Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Re: Forever Not Applied.

While we talk about seemingly Perfect Edits got rejected, please keep in mind:

1.  If each all every of one's edit got "Not Applied" immediately, might be our Account is being black listed

- There are certain ways to cross check this by doing simple edits.  If all of those simple edits also got rejected, then Blacklisting is more likely.

- In situation like this, it is justified to ask for a manual review for our account.  To make sure the Blacklisting is not by mistake.

2.  I think we can focus our discussion on "Perfectly Valid Edits" got "Not Applied" here

- We have enough examples so that we do not have to include those "Wrong Edits" in this discussion.  We can leave the study of a particular edit is "Valid" or "Wrong" to other threads.

3.  What we know so far for the AI approval

- Too many False Negative (Valid Edits rejected incorrectly)

- Too many False Positives (Bad Edits got published incorrectly)

- Same Change of details, by different LG got different result

- Same Change of details, by same LG submitted multiple times got different results

- The AI is complex.  We are told the AI is using all kinds of signals in the approval process - not just the correctness of the edits.

5.  To improve the process

- To me, an defined appeal process is needed especially when the AI results is still too unpredictable to LGs.

6.  We have our own limitations

- We have Google Moderator confirmed to us the process is working as intended.  So there must be a bigger picture over there which we cannot see, yet.

- Hopefully, Google can let us know more over time.

Level 10

Thank you very much @YK1001 in refocusing this thread and for your useful summary. Do you know any simple edits that I could make? The easiest ones for me are marking places as closed, and updating hours to 'Open 24 hours' of local parks.

For those that are receiving 'not applied' edits, please post in this thread if you yourself believe that for a 'perfectly valid' edit that follows Google's guidelines you are being unfairly rejected, whether you receive a 'not applied' or are getting 'immediately not applied'.

To direct our investigations further, I encourage each of you to provide a precise description of the edit that you are trying to make. There are two scenarios.

1. If you are suggesting an edit to an existing place, please provide the following information:
    - Google Maps short URL: (e.g. https://goo.gl/maps/KoZLMMfndtP2)
    - Suggested edit: (e.g. Name - BRAL SWEET HOUSE to Bral Sweet House, or Category - Restaurant to Indian Restaurant)
    * I also advise only to make the sole individual edit by itself.

2. If you are attempting a place creation, please provide the following information:
    - Name:
    - Category:
    - Address:
    - Map Marker: (e.g. 32.688746, 74.860647)
    * Note that the hours, website and relevant photos rarely impact the place creation unless it reaches a Pending status, if it is immediately Not Applied, you have unfortunately wasted your time.

If rather, you are seeking expert advice on whether a place should be created or not, I advise strongly to start a new thread. We will track each request as it comes and endeavour to help you wherever we see necessary. I will continue to link threads here that local guides call out for, until the solution of a master thread as such is acknowledged.

Fire away.

Level 8

To me, the most simple edit is business hours - by taking a photo, not by manual input.

The second one, is to fix Address having multiple languages due to Translation gitches - people might enter the original Address in Chinese, but when I use Maps in English, some Chinese word are being left behnd - so I will just submit an edit to remove the Chinese words in an English address.  

Level 10

@YK1001,

I attempted to do the hours edit. Hours edits are probably the easiest that Google can't verify themselves, so I've managed to do a couple, either editing them manually or taking the picture to scan. That's okay...

But the address changes (especially incomplete Chinese addresses) do not go through at all. The street is actually Marquet St, not Market St and so completely fails.

No category edits, no map marker edits, no name edits, nada. No one is going to inquire as to whether my account is blacklisted, but maybe it is barred from making edits to everything EXCEPT adding hours and marking places as closed.

Do we have a timeframe as to when we will come to a solution? Or will I forever be barred from making edits for life? There's no real reason for blocking these edits. Or at least assure me things will be okay, because right now because of some sort of confidential trust clause nothing will ever be said?

Please answer me now, I have grown tired of waiting. For those higher ups, I bet you're laughing at me when you know exactly it's you who took my account into this presumable editing lockdown, trying to evoke a doltish reaction from me. Everything is not applied. I can't categorise GoGo's Korean Chicken Restaurant from Restaurant to either a Korean or a Chicken Restaurant. I can't categorise Genesis Vietnamese Cuisine from a Restaurant to a Vietnamese Restaurant. I can't rename Kebab Alu Ali (Iranian Cuisine)(the_kebab_guy) to Kebab Alu Ali, I mean what gives!?

You have until the end of the month. It shouldn't take this long to investigate remedial action. I thought you bring your customer base to the highest light and service? Then show it to me, all you need to do is to give back my editing ability, and trust me once again. That's all you need to do, and then I'll be out of here. Of course if you don't want to take the easy route, then, well I don't really have a choice don't I?

Look at that database I created and prove to me that I am not an evil being who seeks the ruin of maps! Stop immediately rejecting my "seemingly perfect" edits, and give my passion back!

Level 9

How about an answer, without which one pushes everything to an algorythm. I would like to remind you that the Google algorithmcreated and controlled the algorithm.

If you ask that you do not take it personally when hundreds of changes are thrown back you have to pay us. We make this work voluntarily deserved for a company which earn a lot of money. My minimum expectation is the appreciation and the company is doing everything it can to maintain our motivation.

This is not a fair way.We do a lot for google, so now google should do something for us. Not with appeasing but with deeds.

Level 10

Multiple Rejections of Accurate Map Edits

Confluence Park is a new park/trail that just opened in Memphis, Tennessee

The map marker for the start of the trail was set too far east. I've tried to edit but I keep getting rejected by Google Maps.

Untitled.png

Any ideas for correcting the map marker location?

Paul Kang
Greater Nashville, Tennessee
Level 10

Good morning.

It is day 14. I'm heading out to Emu Plains, hoping to find some emus and take a picture along them eating some fish and chips. I hope they like fish, they are birds after all but aren't annoying as seagulls. But I think they can pierce through your body with a kick. The thought of such alarms me.

Mainly my focus is to take photos of businesses. I will continue to edit as normal, and I will log every single not applied edit I get today. Who knows? Maybe I'll be exceedingly lucky that everything turned back to normal.

To think that my ethos and primary goal as a local guide of trying to walk through all the city centres and shops, mapping businesses and accuracy, and leaving the whole place with absolutely no stones turned due to everything being not applied gives me so much anxiety.

I want to believe that you're working on something, despite Bruce advising that everything is working as intended. I just hope it comes sooner than later.

Level 8

There is always hope!

For things working as intended, the "intend" itself can be changed anytime triggered by feedbacks.

We can hope!!

Level 7

Re: Everything I edit automatically goes to "Not Applied"

Can anyone assist?

Connect Moderator

Re: Everything I edit automatically goes to "Not Applied"

Hello,

Can you please try a wide variety of different types of edits on a wide variety of features, both in type of feature and in location?  Do any edits at all go through in that case?

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages