Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Errors not being corrected on Google Maps/Edits not being made

ratedruwan Level 8
Level 8

Errors not being corrected on Google Maps/Edits not being made

Hi,

I have been trying to make edits to GoogleMaps for months and either Maps or the Community Manager for NYC is not putting it through.

The edit keeps getting rejected despite the business in question having moved and being in a different location in downtown Manhattan.

I also I keep trying to add a new community garden that is in downtown Manhattan and that keeps getting rejected.

Is there person in charge of accepting edits/validating them bc if they are...they are doing a terrible job in the East Village? It takes forever for an edit to get through. I don't understand why edits made by Local Guides that are Level 5 or above aren't put through immediately. If there is a human element to edits being approved in NYC...it's clear that said person hasn't lived in NYC or isn't good at verifying edits.

Thanks for any advice/help in advance.

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES
GlennDenver Level 10
Level 10

Re: Errors not being corrected on Google Maps/Edits not being made

Yes, it is also happen in my country, too, and I also has the same feeling about what you feel. I don't know why it happens, but I think that the "Check The Facts" feature could be one of the reason because we could randomly take a place that we haven't visited to answer the facts/answers. Maybe is there any explanation from the others?

GlennDenver Level 10
Level 10

I have found something related to what we concern about.

Check this out https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Mapping-Your-World/Why-is-my-edit-status-Pending-or-Not-Applie...

enriquebris Level 7
Level 7

Hola @ratedruwan !

Coincido con la duda que planteas, y creo este problema tiene que ver con el dudoso papel que jugamos los Local Guides en Google Maps, sin importar la categoría que tengamos (4, 5, 6 o cualquier otra). Por un lado el sistema utiliza nuestros aportes, pero por otro no atiende a sugerencias y/o propuestas de modificaciones, haciendo que se muestren errores que puedan resultar en obstáculos para los usuarios de Maps

Realmente, he perdido la cuenta de las veces que he propuesto corregir equivocaciones en el mapa de mi Ciudad, sin obtener una mínima respuesta. He probado de todo: enviar más de una vez la información, mostrar referencias (URL´s) en las que se pueden verificar mis planteamientos, enviar capturas de pantallas con los errores, en fin...

Creo entender la dimensión del proyecto Maps, pero sus creadores han de enfrentar estos asuntos y tomar las decisiones necesarias para que funcione convenientemente.

No puedo menos que sonreír cuando leo en un post de @GusMoreira "Thank you for helping to keep Google Maps fresh and accurate for the millions of people who rely on your information when they’re exploring the world. "

¿Cómo lograrlo si frenan nuestra participación?

Saludos desde la Habana

Highlighted
JeroenM Level 7
Level 7

@ratedruwan

There are lots of reasons why your edits might be rejected. I am part of a collaboration where we just started collecting (theoretical)  reasons and have 12 of them already and still counting. One thing for sure, we cannot help you unless you give more details on individual cases. You are invited to share each case with detailed information (GPS location or link to the place on Maps, and what exactly did you submit as data when suggesting the edits).

Experienced fellow LG and ex Regional Leads like Flash are happy to help you analyze each case and make suggestions. Throwing it all on one heap and saying, computer says always no, is not going to help yourself.

You should be able to tell from the speed in which you get the Not Applied verdict if your edit was only reviewed by a Bot or if there was human involvement. Pending, normally means either a Googler or people answering Check the Facts are involved.

Google's department that runs the Local Guides program is actually based in NYC, so I find it hard to believe that anything would go wrong at the heart of the LG operation ;-)

Another way of getting feedback is contacting fellow local guides in your area. Have you considered to join a meet-up of the NYC Local Guides community?

Please keep in mind that your trust score is affecting the likelihood of your edits going through. Having many Not Approved responses in a row will mean your trust score won't be in optimal health. Better to stick with safe edits for a little while, to build up your trust level again. 

Best wishes!

JeroenM

Check out the beginnings of our Local Guides Library | Not Applied Reasons Inventory

with online resources.