Briggs's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10

Emojis in Business Names

Hey local guides! I have a really simple question.

Emoticons in Business Names.png

Are emojis allowed in business names? The guidelines do not mention it anywhere. It is perhaps logical and clearcut, but I'm coming across a few listings with taps (plumbers), phones (for mobile centres) or a bowl of curry (Indian restaurants).

5 comments
Connect Moderator

Re: Emojis in Business Names

Hello @Briggs,

While the rules you quote are for GMB, their naming rules do align with the Maps rules and thus are appropriate here.  Emojis are not permitted, they would fall afoul of all these points:

• Your name should reflect your business’ real-world name, as used consistently on your storefront, website, stationery, and as known to customers. 
  • Including unnecessary information in your business name is not permitted
  • Your name must not include:
    • Special characters (e.g. %&$@/") or irrelevant legal terms unless they are part of your business’s real world representation

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

@Flash,

Are abbreviations/acronyms appended to business names such as, Ltd, Inc, LLC allowed, or not?

Level 10

Hello @Flash,

While I kinda forgot that special characters would have also been applicable to emojis, I guess that works. I want to remove emojis from business names that clearly do not have such images in their branding, especially if they have the apple version of the emoji. I've seen a few places with a 'thumbs up' or a 'smiley face' when it clearly doesn't appear, and upon trying to edit them...

I'd also like an answer for spudnikjim's question below as well about irrelevant legal terms too please.

"...or irrelevant legal terms unless they are part of your business’s real world representation"

Connect Moderator

Hello @Briggs and @sputnikjim,

This is actually something we've spoken about before, though I know that with all the rules it can be hard to remember everything.  Please reference my post here, and a follow up you might have missed here.  But to summarize, those legal terms belong in the name that is tagged Official, which is not the name we view nor the name we edit; thus you should not be adding or seeing it.  I remove them when I see them.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 10

I appreciate those responses, thanks for referencing back to them. 🙂

When I need help with a few edits, I'll work with you if I can't edit them myself. That'll probably be next year when I come back from overseas.