JanVanHaver's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Electronics Store vs. Appliance Store

There are 2 separate categories 'Electronics Store' and 'Appliance Store', which make perfect sense of course, but a lot of shops sell both TVs, computers, etc. and washing machines, toasters, etc. Examples are Best Buy (US), Darty (France) and MediaMarkt (Germany). Which category would be the best to use for those? I'm coming across a lot of category-inconsistencies in this domain.

In some cases, the category used is 'Electronics Supply Store' (I think mainly due to the translation of the term in other languages), but in my view that is clearly wrong, as that is meant for shops selling things like sensors, led-lights, processors, etc.

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply
3 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Electronics Store vs. Appliance Store

Hello,

Places actually have multiple categories, but in Maps we can only see and edit the primary category.

In addition Google uses what it knows about the place via other sources such as Search; making categories less important than they were when Maps first opened; though incorrect categories can still cause major issues and it's always best to get the most exact category available.

As you are editing the primary category, please set the category to the main function of a place. For example, Best Buy would be an electronics store.

If you cannot change the category then likely what is happening is that the category already exists as a secondary category.

Businesses can see and edit all their categories by signing up at Google My Business.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 8

@JanVanHaver wrote:

There are 2 separate categories 'Electronics Store' and 'Appliance Store', which make perfect sense of course, but a lot of shops sell both TVs, computers, etc. and washing machines, toasters, etc. Examples are Best Buy (US), Darty (France) and MediaMarkt (Germany). Which category would be the best to use for those? I'm coming across a lot of category-inconsistencies in this domain.

In some cases, the category used is 'Electronics Supply Store' (I think mainly due to the translation of the term in other languages), but in my view that is clearly wrong, as that is meant for shops selling things like sensors, led-lights, processors, etc.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer for this, these categories are used across many cultures or countries, I think you should use the one you think is most suitable or as best understanding for you.   

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello,

Places actually have multiple categories, but in Maps we can only see and edit the primary category.

In addition Google uses what it knows about the place via other sources such as Search; making categories less important than they were when Maps first opened; though incorrect categories can still cause major issues and it's always best to get the most exact category available.

As you are editing the primary category, please set the category to the main function of a place. For example, Best Buy would be an electronics store.

If you cannot change the category then likely what is happening is that the category already exists as a secondary category.

Businesses can see and edit all their categories by signing up at Google My Business.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Connect Moderator

@Flash Thanks for clarifying that. Can you also confirm that my assumption about 'Electronics Supply Store' is correct?

Check out LetsGuide Podcast | #LGCTM | Please always @Mention me so I see your reply