IgnatusU's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8

Editing Names of Roads/Areas/Quarters in Google Maps

Over the months I have been to preoccupied with other activities that I could barely remember sharing this question with other community member.

I have encountered roads, streets and areas or quarters that are wrongly named, each time I try using the drop pin tool to spot a location close to these (wrongly named) pathways, the erroneous name will append or completely override the original inputted address. I presume the team or group mapping those areas were in a huge hurry and got some areas fused up.

I have tried using the map maker to edit the names but was never approved or worse had difficulties effecting those changes. I tried using the feedback as a complementary note to the changes or a bug report, yet nothing happened.

Sadly, all my additions with correct name spelling on those locations were rejected, reason being incorrect address. I think this error can also ruin the use of google map in those locations as I have experienced.

Below is one location that is erroneously named "Ogogugbo" instead of "Oghoghugbo" and the area covers beyond its region push other regions into extinction.

I wish to make it better for everyone if I am in the position to do so.

My Question: How can we, or who can effect changes to those wrongly mapped locations?

What are the minimum Local Guide level required and which tool needed to correct those names?

Ogogugbo, Benin City, Edo, Nigeria
15 comments
Level 9
Level 9

Re: Editing Names of Roads/Areas/Quarters in Google Maps

Streets and areas are treated differently so there are slightly different ways to report them. 

For a area:

In the desktop version open the map at the desired location

Click the hamburger icon ☰
Click Send feedback
Click Other feedback
Describe your issue or share your ideas
Add a screenshot as directed

For a street: 

Zoom into the map for the street in question

Click on the the map

Click Report a data problem

Suggest an edit for the street highlighted 

Level 8

Thanks @PhilipF

I have tried all the tools mentioned. Either the changes will refuse to save, or it will never be approved. 

My concern is to effect positive impactful changes, I will go back to those areas and carefully follow your instructions. 

Level 9
Level 9

@IgnatusU wrote:

@Thanks @PhilipF

I have tried all the tools mentioned. Either the changes will refuse to save, or it will never be approved.  

Unfortunately, unlike POI edits, there is no feedback on reports like this so you just have to wait and see

Level 10

@IgnatusU wrote:

Sadly, all my additions with correct name spelling on those locations were rejected, reason being incorrect address. I think this error can also ruin the use of google map in those locations as I have experienced.

Below is one location that is erroneously named "Ogogugbo" instead of "Okokhugbo"

Hello IgnatusU,

I am not familiar with Nigeria.  That said, I was unable to find one Google search result for the term "Okokhugbo".  I also tried another major search engine, without a single result.  That doesn't mean you are incorrect, but you will need to provide some information in the submission of feedback as to why this should be Okokhugbo rather than Ogogugbo.  This may also explain why some of your other location edits weren't applied.

and the area covers beyond its region push other regions into extinction. 

The feedback you want to give is that the boundary has been set incorrectly.  You can see what Google thinks the correct boundary is for " Ogogugbo" here.  You may be able to use that with the "include screenshot" feature of "Submit Feedback", indicating where you think the boundaries should be. As you probably know, the Googlers will obtain sources for their reference themselves -- there isn't any map (or even the reference to a map) that you can provide.

As @Pea mentioned in his response, unfortunately, communication with the Google teams is only one-way, and changes such as boundaries can take a long time to be corrected 😞

Level 8

@MapWranglerThanks for the extensive research and well detailed guides,

Particularly, two things very pertinent to the Ogogugbo are (1) name, (2) boundary set.

I have lived around this quarters for over 20 years, and particularly spent 7-8 years in a building just 30m away from This Kiosk, located beside Agbonlahor (my very Street). I strongly presume the team who updated the area the last time were in serious haste.

a. University of Benin, Benin City (Ekehuan Campus) intercept with the end of Agbonlahor street. See officially used address

b. Sam Ogbemudia Stadium is in Ogbe Quarters. See officially used address 

c. Evbuotubu Market is in Evbuotubu Quarters. See one of the local shop users address does not include Oghoghugbo. Address : Shop 6, Evbuotubu Market Road, Locality: Benin City Area/City: Egor State: Edo 

• Address : Shop 6,Evbuotubu Market Road
  • Locality: Benin City
  • Area/City: Egor
  • State: Edo State
- See more at: http://www.omoyell.com/edo_state/14474/beauty-fashion-designer#sthash.M1vENiW9.dpuf

- See more at: http://www.omoyell.com/edo_state/14474/beauty-fashion-designer#sthash.M1vENiW9.dpuf

d. Asoro Grammar School is in Asoro/Evbuotubu Quarters, area generally refer to Upper Ekehuan Road. This part may be closer to Oghoghugbo village but definitely not part of it. See used address does not include Oghoghugbo Asoro Hill, Ekewan Road, Benin-City

Politically, A & B are in Oredo LGA, while B&C are in Egor LGA.

This link maybe helpful in describing Oghoghugbo:

Oghoghugbo is a populated place and is located in Nigeria. The estimate terrain elevation above seal level is 91 metres.

Latitude: 6°21'0"
Longitude: 5°34'0.01"

ANOTHER CASE:

Ogume

This is hometown where I was born, Ogume comprises of seven distinct settlements (Ogbe-Ogume, Ogume-Ogbagu, Ogume-Ogbole, Ogume-Igbe, Ogume-Umuchime, Ogume-Utue, and Ogume-Obodougwua). Unfortunately only a single boundary was used making the entire seven to disappear from the maps.

Check to see that the Ogume-Ogbagu Primary School is outside the boundary of Ogume, this suggests that the boundary was incorrectly set.

The road passing through Ogume is wrongly named "" instead of "Amai- Kwale Road".

I look forward to having the capability of modifying these and other unlisted zones either directly (where possible) or by feedback.

Level 10

I also tried my best but failed to do correct. Perhaps Local Guide level is not a factor.

Level 8

Hi @prasunkumarb I am looking forward to see the best possible way out of this,  not too comfortable leaving issues unresolved. These and more spotted areas are giving me great concern.

Level 8

@LawrenceNYC 

@TraciC

@BruceDM

For an area:OssiningTownCropped-1.png

The pink area is the "Town of Ossining" 

I have additionally sent "feedback"

I do not know how to properly add and name this area. I have tried every which way...

=>>>>>>

For an Area

In the desktop version open the map at the desired location

Click the hamburger icon ☰
Click Send feedback
Click Other feedback => I DO NOT SEEM TO HAVE THIS OPTION!
Describe your issue or share your ideas => DID THIS
Add a screenshot as directed => UNABLE TO UPLOAD THE ABOVE SCREENSHOT

<===/

I have been using the "Ossining Attorney" address to post and attempt to correct this issue to no avail.

How exactly does one add an actual Town which is presently mapped and described incorrectly?

Feel free to contact me or phone me.

Former Google Contributor

Hello @VBenedict,

I'm not sure I understand what it is you are trying to edit for the town?  

At this time, I can confirm that clicking "Send Feedback" will prompt a new window to Edit the map, add a place, report a missing road, or submit other feedback.  Make sure you are signed into Google Maps first before clicking through these steps and if you are signed in and still do not see these choices, please share a screenshot of what you do see.

As before, I am unclear what you are trying to change here but please note that not all items can be adjusted by the public (like the name of a City, or locations of Rivers or Parks).  Depending on what you'd like to do, we can investigate further.

I am not available to respond on the weekend