SamuelCalifornia's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Duplicate locations; should I delete one?

Please see the following:

Bandit Ultra Trail Run

3406 Monticello Ave, Simi Valley, CA 93063

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bandit+Ultra+Trail+Run/@34.2974076,-118.7186917,17z/data=!4m13!1m7...

Bandit Ultra Trail Run

7001 Smith Rd, Simi Valley, CA 93063

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bandit+Ultra+Trail+Run/@34.2623714,-118.6557888,523m/data=!3m1!1e3...

The first one is the business; it is shown in the web site. I can understand why the second one was created; that is where most of the customers would go. But that address is a public park; see:

Corriganville Park

7001 Smith Rd, Simi Valley, CA 93063

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Corriganville+Park/@34.2650148,-118.6567009,1221m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m...

Since the business can simply give the park's address, there is absolutely no need for the duplicate address. Is it valid for me to delete the duplicate, the one for "Bandit Ultra Trail Run" with the address for the park?

Simi Valley, California, United States
17 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Duplicate locations; should I delete one?

Hello all,

There are several items in this thread that I'll try to address:

• Meeting Places - The definition of a meeting place has evolved over time.  It is now allowed that something like a yoga class can be mapped.  The rules is that it needs to reoccur on a set schedule and that it needs to have a place devoted to it.  So a running club meeting in a park would not qualify as it has no space devoted to it.  You can read a more involved explanation of the current rules for meeting places.
  • Home Based Businesses - There is nothing that bans home based businesses from the map.  What Google doesn't want on the map is a place that you visit based on finding it on the map only to find you cannot get help.  For that reason what is specifically banned is businesses that do not deal face-to-face with clients or a service area business (SAB) with no storefront.  A SAB is a business that does face-to-face business with the customer but at another location; either at the customer's home/business or at a neutral location.  Plumbers are good examples of SABs.  A SAB with a storefront is rare, but when they do exist they are allowed, a good example is a pizza restaurant that also has delivery.  A SAB without a storefront can still be listed in Google Local as long as they do it themselves by singing up for Google My Business and then indicating they don't receive customers at their location so that their street address ends up hidden.  Such places won't have a marker on the map but will show up in searches and can have reviews, photos, etc. added to them.  You can also edit them, but should not attempt to add the street address.

So it is acceptable to delete a running club that meets outdoors in the park, but not one that has a meeting room booked every Sunday at noon.  And it is acceptable to delete a business that does not have people come to visit it.  However, please be aware that if the business is claimed via GMB and it is allowed to be listed in GMB as long as they hide their address; Google will tend not to delete those as they don't want to lose the data and unfortunately will also not correct them.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Connect Moderator

@SamuelCalifornia hi ..

Thanks for your post .. 

Yes , Honestly u can delete these Duplicate edits or Place on maps .

By Using Suggest an edits Option u can mark these place as a Duplicate Edits ...

duplicate.JPG

After Google reviewed these will Deleted ....

But Before make any edits plz search or  Know this place about deeply .... 

Happy Mapping 

Happy Guiding ..

Level 9

Hi @SamuelCalifornia

I just brows both of the link that you have linked with us. If you click their website and go on contact details you will fine both of the address,One for Mailing address ( Main Office) and another for Race (running the Race Competition). Please visit: http://banditultratrailrun.com/contact/

So, I think its ok for their nature of business.

Race Address

Corriganville Park

7001 Smith RoadSimi Valley, CA 93063 

Mailing Address

Bandit Ultra Trail Run

Randy Shoemaker

Race Director

3406 Monticello Avenue
Simi Valley, CA 93063

Level 6

Thank you, Md ShafiulB.

I have previously lived a few blocks from that park. I know the park very well. I know that the business closest to the park was a furniture manufacturer and is now a studio for things like weddings.

Level 6

Abdullah AlM, note that the 7001 Smith Road address is not theirs. It is a public park. There is no building there. Even if they pay for the temporary use of the park, they do not have exclusive use of the park. Google Maps would become very crowded if everyone that uses a property for a few hours creates a location in Google Maps.

Level 9
Level 9

@Abdullah AlM wrote:

So, I think its ok for their nature of business. 

Hi @AbdullahAM sorry but you need to acquaint yourself with the rules of Google Maps, bad advice is worse than no advise at all. 

The listing in the park is not permitted, period. It is a Meeting Place and forbidden. I believe the correct way to deal with this is not as a Duplicate, but by using Never Existed as it should never have been on the map.

The place on Monticello Av is a bit more problematic. First off it has been Claimed so editing it might lead to a denial, however it is doubtful this should be on the map either. There is no storefront, it's just a residential address. Their website describes it as a "Mailing Address". It would seem no face to face customer contact is expected here, in which case there's no point it being on the map. The owners could perhaps use their Google My Business dashboard to mark themselves as a Service Area Business and hide their home address

Level 6

Thank you, PhilipF. Actually there are very many businesses in Google Maps with an address that obviously is their home. I don't know how many of them actually have a separate place of business but many of them probably are mail-order and/or internet types of businesses. Legally, they must provide an address for the business. Google Maps seems to not have a way to manage such things as best as possible. If the address is the legal address of the business then it seems valid for it to be in Google Maps at that location.

Level 6

Something that Google Maps could do is to provide a way to reference the legal document that establishes a business (makes them legal). That would improve many things but since they don't we have an imperfect system for cataloging businesses. Here in Los Angeles I have tried to find a way to look up active businesses by name and/or address in official government information but I can't find anything reliable for doing that.

Level 9
Level 9

@SamuelCalifornia wrote:

If the address is the legal address of the business then it seems valid for it to be in Google Maps at that location.

No it's not. You're maybe thinking about this the wrong way. Google Maps isn't a system for cataloguing businesses and as such there is no interest in looking for legal documents or considering what is the legal address. The Map is generally a way for users to find businesses or services they need. It's about places the user can go for face to face contact. Often that's in a store-fronted location on 'Main St' but the business can be located in a private home, so long as the location is staffed during stated hours. The issue with the business you have brought up is not that the listing is at a residential address, but that they don't seem to be expecting customers to actually go there because they only mention it as a mailing address

Connect Moderator
Solution

Hello all,

There are several items in this thread that I'll try to address:

• Meeting Places - The definition of a meeting place has evolved over time.  It is now allowed that something like a yoga class can be mapped.  The rules is that it needs to reoccur on a set schedule and that it needs to have a place devoted to it.  So a running club meeting in a park would not qualify as it has no space devoted to it.  You can read a more involved explanation of the current rules for meeting places.
  • Home Based Businesses - There is nothing that bans home based businesses from the map.  What Google doesn't want on the map is a place that you visit based on finding it on the map only to find you cannot get help.  For that reason what is specifically banned is businesses that do not deal face-to-face with clients or a service area business (SAB) with no storefront.  A SAB is a business that does face-to-face business with the customer but at another location; either at the customer's home/business or at a neutral location.  Plumbers are good examples of SABs.  A SAB with a storefront is rare, but when they do exist they are allowed, a good example is a pizza restaurant that also has delivery.  A SAB without a storefront can still be listed in Google Local as long as they do it themselves by singing up for Google My Business and then indicating they don't receive customers at their location so that their street address ends up hidden.  Such places won't have a marker on the map but will show up in searches and can have reviews, photos, etc. added to them.  You can also edit them, but should not attempt to add the street address.

So it is acceptable to delete a running club that meets outdoors in the park, but not one that has a meeting room booked every Sunday at noon.  And it is acceptable to delete a business that does not have people come to visit it.  However, please be aware that if the business is claimed via GMB and it is allowed to be listed in GMB as long as they hide their address; Google will tend not to delete those as they don't want to lose the data and unfortunately will also not correct them.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages