AmeyP's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 6

Drinking water dispensers on maps

On maps, I see that there's a category, drinking water fountain / drinking water dispenser, available for search just like you'd search for restaurants and cafes. However, I cannot add such a place to the maps. I feel, these would add tremendous value to Google maps as thirsty travelers can then use maps to quickly find nearest drinking water source, especially on hiking trips. Any idea how I can add such places to the maps?

23 comments
Level 7

Where you get a glass of water for free?

Perhaps marking with a water dispenser icon and some reference (e.g. "at restroom´s entrance") would be enough,

I read a "feature request" that could also need some endorsement from us.

https://www.localguidesconnect.com/t5/Feedback-and-Feature-Requests/Drinking-water-dispensers-on-map...

Level 7

Re: Drinking water dispensers on maps

Hi AmeyP,

I had initiated another discussion refering also to your request,

Perhaps it´s a matter of category\Subject to get your suggestion realized 🙂

Thanks for your insights.

Best regards.

Level 10

Re: Where you get a glass of water for free?

@RobertoDI Good suggestion. 

Level 7

Re: Drinking water dispensers on maps

@AmeyP Great idea! 

Level 9

+1 for this

Level 9
Level 9

Hi @RobertoDI

Not everything that exists in the world is necessarily mappable, there are many things people might find useful or interesting such as water dispensers, mail boxes, phone booths, garbage cans etc etc but these can't be added to the base map. For such features a custom map which can be shared may be the answer https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/

Also it's important to bear in mind that things we do add to the base map should generally have a proper name. Descriptive names (eg "Water Dispenser" or even "Water Dispenser on Smith St") are not normally permitted and since most water dispensers don't have a proper name they can't be mapped.

Former Google Contributor

hi @RobertoDI Thanks for this post - interesting thoughts!

I have also moved your post to the Feedback and Feature Requests board and merged it with an similar existing topic

Level 9

Hey @Pea

Interesting view but I think its good to add places that will help people. Like we add ATMs and its a huge help to people looking for them. 

And having a separate map for water coolers wont be much help to everyone. . .

Level 9
Level 9

@HashimN wrote:

Like we add ATMs and its a huge help to people looking for them. 

Absolutely, ATMs are a great help and Google decided to specifically to make an exception and accept them on the map. 

The other points I mentioned isn't my view (I'm not that smart to dream up such stuff), it's Google mapping guidelines. If you're in doubt, start a thread on the Mapping Your World board and say you want to add some water dispensers to the map, see the advice you get.