PatricL's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Directly denied when adding a viewpoint

North of village Ponor, there is a viewpoint, even a concreate blimp on the ground that's visible from satellite image.

And a not so cozy bench to sit on and look at mountain when sun goes down. And yes, we missed that part as we couldn't find this spot in time.

ponor.jpg

As it's hard to find this spot, locals had to guide us there.

I took a picture and try to ad place on map, but it get directly denied.

ponor.jpg

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9285737,23.1371114,215m/data=!3m1!1e3

As it's known as viewpoint of Ponor, and I'm not supposed to ad village names to POI names.

It has no address and it shows Kostinbrod when I place a marker.

Kostinbrod is the municipality.

If you search for it you will not find it, as kostinbrod has no viewpoint and you will not relate to it as the viewpoint of Ponor.

Any idea how to ad this spot?

I try to ad a location to this discussion, but whatever I put in that field, it's removed directly.

8 comments

Accepted Solutions
Connect Moderator
Solution

Re: Directly denied when adding a viewpoint

@Pea is correct, for a POI to be added to the map requires that there actually be something there that has a proper name.  This place would not qualify.  But that fine because you don't need a POI to attach a 360 panorama.

You must use the Street View app on a mobile device to add a 360 to the map without attaching it to a POI.  If you did not use that app to make your panorama in the first place it will allow you to import panoramas.  You can then drag and drop where it goes on the map within the Street View app.  After you do so, it will appear as a blue circle when people are searching for panorama views by holding pegman over the map.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

View solution in original post

Level 9
Level 9

Not everything that exists in the real world is necessarily mappable. For things you can't add to the base map a custom map is often a good idea https://www.google.com/maps/about/mymaps/

Level 7

Made a map, added the POI and the 360° sphere, but how will anyone find it?

More interesting, how can they use it?

If they find it, it's just a small flat image(20MB thumbnail), not a 360° sphere that you can rotate and zoom in/out on.

poi.jpg

It is possible to right click on map and get a route to this place.

Question is, would you go there if you saw the little thumbnail up in left corner?

It is public on the web.

How will I go about finding this info if I search on google?

Is this only for my use if I don't share it by sending a link?

By sending a link, it's at least viewable in almost full screen, still flat though.

Tried to share it on my webpage, same layout as sending link but smaller, as it's in an iframe.

There are a lot of things I can do with this, non I see as useful.

Am I missing the point with this exercise?

Level 9
Level 9

FYI you can add 360 photos directly to the map. This is different to flat photos which need to be added to a POI

Level 7

Please do tell how.

Link you posted is a 404.

Directly for me means, drag picture and drop it where it should be, or click map and select sphere to place here.

None of those are possible.

I got very little options in my maps, select marker, place marker, draw a line and make a route.

That's about it.

But main question is, can someone else use this by searching or in any other way find this map if I make it public, without me sending it to them?

Connect Moderator
Solution

@Pea is correct, for a POI to be added to the map requires that there actually be something there that has a proper name.  This place would not qualify.  But that fine because you don't need a POI to attach a 360 panorama.

You must use the Street View app on a mobile device to add a 360 to the map without attaching it to a POI.  If you did not use that app to make your panorama in the first place it will allow you to import panoramas.  You can then drag and drop where it goes on the map within the Street View app.  After you do so, it will appear as a blue circle when people are searching for panorama views by holding pegman over the map.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages

Level 7

Why is there no info about this?

It's a bit awkward working in this way, to be kind.

So many threads about this and no answers so far until this one.

That camera icon has just been in my way, until now.

360° Sphere uploaded without being attached to anything.

I have several hundred spheres that has been denied so far, due to place is not approved.

I noticed that there is no info about picture, is that how it should be when you upload it this way?

Or can I ad info during upload or edit later on?

I've been working with computers since 1990, and when android stepped in, world of random and badly documented processes opened a new door in my life.

I didn't find any tutorial how to ad a Sphere to maps with street view.

If I missed it, can someone please answer with a link to it.

I felt like google maps is a city product, and I still am.

As it's to hard to ad new POI to map.

Level 9
Level 9

@PatricL wrote:

I have several hundred spheres that has been denied so far, due to place is not approved.

If you keep getting 'Not approved' it's a good idea to stop and search or ask the forum if there may be a reason. One thing to bear in mind as Gregg referred to above, places need to have a real, proper name not a descriptive name.

Here's some info about 360 photos https://support.google.com/maps/answer/7011737 but you seem to have already done a grand job adding yours to the map

Level 7

In have been asking, but in map maker forum.

About one month ago they told me to go here.

I asked a question and not even one answer.

Thought it was just like the map maker forum.

"Give and you will not get anything in return."

This is the first time I get a response.