PaulPavlinovich's post
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Connect Moderator

Deprecation of goo.gl URL shortener - does it impact Maps?

I use the goo.gl URL shortener service, and recently a notice appeared that it is going away... It occurred to me when sharing a Maps link just now that Maps also uses the goo.gl URL shortener. goo.gl is being replaced with https://firebase.google.com/products/dynamic-links/ Perhaps @Flash you might like to pass this up the food chain just in case the Maps dev team don't know. 

From the goo.gl website

Starting March 30, 2018, we will be turning down support for goo.gl URL shortener. From April 13, 2018 only existing users will be able to create short links on the goo.gl console. You will be able to view your analytics data and download your short link information in csv format for up to one year, until March 30, 2019, when we will discontinue goo.gl. Previously created links will continue to redirect to their intended destination. Please see this blog post for more details.

Regards Paul

2 comments
Level 6

Re: Deprecation of goo.gl URL shortener - does it impact Maps?

Hi Paul, I am worried about deprecation of goo.gl URL shortener and its potential impact on Google Maps users too. The blog post that you linked to provides some level of reassurance about persistence of goo.gl URLs even after creation of new goo.gl URLs are disabled in 2019.

I have a related concern. Many of my custom Google Maps use Google URL shortener g.co instead of goo.gl. Will g.co be deprecated too?  I hope not, but if it is, when will it happen? What will the impact of deprecating both goo.gl and g.co be for Google Maps users? 

Thanks for any insights!

Connect Moderator

Re: Deprecation of goo.gl URL shortener - does it impact Maps?

The depreciation has to do with the fact that Google is already looking at using replacement technologies.  URL shortening will no longer be necessary.

Flash - LG Connect Moderator, Maps Platinum Product Expert, Map Maker Platinum Product Expert, RER and Regional Lead

Due to the volume I receive, I do not respond to unsolicited private messages